This Disappears When Logged In

My Baby Pueblan Milk Snake Puke. What Should I Do?

Discussion in 'Milksnakes' started by mikediamondback, Jan 28, 2012.

1. mikediamondback

mikediamondback New Member

I am currently living in Bali, Indonesia. This is my first experience with Pueblan milk snake. I bought the baby on January 10, 2012 and it delivered to me on January 12, 2012. First feeding time was on January 16, 2012. Things went smooth, it ate one pinky. After white poo and several black poo, I decided not to feed it for couple of days. I just didn't want to push it. And then the second feeding time was scheduled on January 25, 2012. Since I thought it must be ready for additional pinky, I fed it 2 pinkies. Like the care sheet said, I just left both pinkies in front of its hiding enclosure (inside punctured plastic box). I left it peacefully and did my business. Two hours later I checked it and found that both pinkies were eaten. I also found it soaking half of its body into its water bowl.

And here came the shock. Couple of hours ago (January 28, 2012) I found something strange happen. I saw it open its jaws and stayed on that state around 2-3 minutes and then something moved from its back and sliding around forward to its jaws. It puked its half-digested preys.

I was panicked and found this forum. Now I really need some insights/advice from you guys. What happened to my snake? Is it over-eating? Or is it stressful because of the heat from solar storm? What should I do next? And what measures I should take to save it and make sure this won't happen anymore in the future. I attached the pictures, chronologically. I hope you guys can help me, I just don't want the baby dead. Thanks before and after.

-Mike.

Attached Files:

2. mikediamondback

I must add that there is no herpetologist available on my area and near it. So bringing it to the herpetologist is not an option. Thank you guys.

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm sure that an member with milk snake experience will be by to help you out!

Give them a rundown of how you are keeping your snake
    Temperatures of hot side, cool side
    How you are measuring your temps, analog, strip or digital with probe
    Humidity
    Substrate using

He is very cute!

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Just giving this thread a bump! Hopefully someone can help this guy out

5. Reptileherps

Reptileherps Well-Known Member

As stated before, what are the temps, humidity, substrate, etc. There are many reasons why this could have happened. I'm thinking this may have been a temperature issue. Especially since it has been 3 days and the pinkies are still in such a solid form. You may need to bump the temp up so it can digest it's food quicker. But let us know the details before making any changes.

6. mikediamondback

Thank you guys for the insights and hints. The average temperature before my baby snake puked was around 84-97 F daytime, dropping to 80-82 at night. When I thought it's too hot for my baby snake, I set the air condition in my room to 77 F both daytime and night time. At this time, I don't have any humidity meter, so I couldn't record the humidity. I always use a sheet or two of newspapers, since I didn't think heat ceramic mat is needed due to the tropical condition of the country.

Maybe in the next 7-10 days, I will feed my baby snake only with one pinky. I'm guessing that the problem came from the over-feeding (I shouldn't push my baby snake to eat two pinkies, since one seemed okay), then mixed w/ the hot weather nowadays that put my snake in high stress level condition. :((( For now, I will try to minimize the stress by not handling it and only open its plastic container box to change the water and check the baby condition, and will not feed it anything for at least a week. Any comments about my plan, guys?

Last but not least, you guys are awesome! Much love and bunch of thanks. - Mike -

7. Reptileherps

Reptileherps Well-Known Member

97 is kinda hot in my opinion. I would have the warm end at 85-90 and the cool side no cooler than like 78 or so. Wait a couple days to feed it and try again but with just one pinky. Your plan seems good. As you said avoid handling for a while. Make sure there are plenty of hiding places so it doesn't stress out.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Since you have no heater I suspect the air conditioner is what did you in. By the snake normally being warm and then suddenly cooling off, it rejected the food to prevent it rotting in its stomach.
    If you want to keep your room cooler you are going to need a heat source for the snake.