This Disappears When Logged In

My alligator lizard

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by spaceystacey29, May 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spaceystacey29

spaceystacey29 New Member

Joined this thing hoping to get some good advice.....I have recently acquired what I believe to be a southern alligator. I've been on the internet for a couple of days now trying to find out what I should feed it, how to set up the cage, etc. There is alot of useful advice out there but alot of it is contradicting as well. So here's what I've done....First of all it was caught on the playground at the school where I work. I live and work in Kern County and the temps around here are about 91 degrees right now during the day. And not a whole lot cooler at night. I have a large water dish in his cage, a large log to hide under, and a branch type thing. I put that colored sand in there that's supposed to be good for reptiles....digestion...etc. There were so many ideas out there as to what to feed him so I tried a little of everything. On the second day I had him I just put stuff in there to see what he would eat. He ate a pinky, 4 crickets, and a mealworm in about 5 minutes. He wasn't interested in the earthworm I offered at all. So...I have a couple of questions for you pros...Is it ok to feed him pinkies? If so, how often should I feed them to him? How often does he eat anything? Should I feed crickets daily? Do I need to remove uneaten crickets to avoid stress? Also, should I provide a heat source? I have different heat sources available for him but with the temps so hot anyway, is it still necessary? He is approximately 12 inches long and about an inch and 1/2 wide across the belly. By the way, in case you're unfamiliar Kern County is in California and I live in a dry desert area. There are no streams, lakes, rivers or anything like that around. Not even any trees really, just dirt and sagebrush. Thank you to any of you who take the time to help me, it's greatly appreciated.
    Stacey

2. spaceystacey29

these aren't very good pics, but gives you an idea

oh yeah, here's a pic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

youll not only need to provide him with a heat source but a source of UVB lighting. UVB is essential to the health of your lizard because its how he will absorb the vitamin D3 which is needed to properly absorb calcium. You can use either a mercury vapor lamp or flourcent lighing to get UVB...http://www.anapsid.org/gerrhont.html
    thats a caresheet, hope it helps!

4. spaceystacey29

Thanks Savannah!!
    One more thing....someone told me they had a horned lizard, fed it mealworms, and it that the mealworms ate through their lizards belly. Could this really happen? I raised some abandoned baby robins from birth once and the info I had on care for them said that to feed the birds mealworms you had to cut the heads off because of that very thing......Whaddya think?

5. venus

venus Founding Member

I would also do away with the calcium sand...it actually is not digestable and can cause impaction. When it gets wet, it clumps up. I would stick to shelf liner, newspaper etc...how long have you had it? Some suggest foods for it would be crickets, mealworms and wax worms all dusted with calcium power and vits.

6. mshrmheadcharge

:D youre very welcome!! Mealworms will eat anything thats DEAD, once they get into the mouth the lizard will chew them up and swallow them, and proceed to be digested...:D just like when we eat...no dont cut thier heads off as its not necessary. Superworms on the other hand are like giant mealies and they DO BITE, but all you have to do is squish their heads or make sure the lizards grabs the super by its head and kills it lol.

7. Ssativa

Ssativa Subscribed User Premium Member

I have never been biten by a Superworm and I have tried to get bitten. I think their mouthparts are just too small to bite a human but they could probably bite a lizard toe or something. I know that my leopard geckos crush the worms when they eat them so I don't worry.

8. mshrmheadcharge

My water dragons have been bitten by these monsters, and they dont like to let go when they bite lol, after the first feeding I learned that, and it isnt the easiest thing trying to squish their heads either LOL so I feed them to my WDs head first and that seems to do the trick :D

9. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Yeah, I would do away with the calcium sand. If you insist upon using a sandy substrate I would use washed and sifted playsand that you can get at the hardware store for sand boxes, its alot safer, although there is still a risk of impaction.
    Remove uneaten crickets from the tank.
    Don't worry aboutt he mealworms, its a myth.
    Pinkies should only be a treat, they are high in fat.

10. Lyn'sSteve

Lyn'sSteve Elite Member

Hi spaceystacey29,

Cannot help you with you lizard but just wanted to welcome you to Herp Center.

I'm sure others here can help you! Happy Herping!

Steve

11. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Welcome to HC Network. Cute little guy you have there....make yourself at home. Lyn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.