This Disappears When Logged In

My Albino Bp and I New Here!

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by razorsharp, Jan 18, 2010.

1. razorsharp

razorsharp New Member

Hello everybody! I am new here as well as my albino burmese python. i know what you are going to think because i have already read it and heard it, however i am a first time snake owner and this burmese is, well, my first snake and apparently this is not a good choice snake for beginners but i have been wanting an large snake and have done a lot of research before i bought my lil' creature but there are still some things id like to touch on.
    first thing id like to ask is, and i know this is a seemingly difficult task, yet maybe someone can give me some assistance without having to go to a vet. due to the simple fact that i live in a pretty small town out in north dakota and do not know if there are really any experienced vets. anyway, i wud like some help on possibly telling me what gender my abp is. i don't know a whole lot about probing and popping but is it dire that i get that done?
    next, briefly, i custom built my own enclosure it is
    5' long x 30" wide x 30" tall is this appropriate for how (assumingly very) big he will get? or do i need something taller? i just ask because from what i read it seems they dont do a whole lot of climbing as they get older.
    another question i have is what is the best way from all of you experienced owners is the best way to get rid of mites assuming he ever does acquire them? ive read about it yet never seen them in person and i hear many different things about many different products and it seems that they are very up and down.
    well that seems to be about all i have for now and below are pictures and believing that my python is a male his name is adolf. well thank you for your time and hope to hear response soon! thank you for allowing me into your forum and community!

Attached Files:

2. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Welcome to HCN it has been my experience that the bigger bodied snakes do not climb as much. I have a 15 foot male, he is much happier just lounging on the ground.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Burmese as babies may climb a bit but the adults are a more terrestrial animal. So height is not as important as floor space. The cage size you have is not going to be big enough. The recommended enclosure size for an adult bumese is approx 4ft by 8ft footprint.

4. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Welcome to HCN! You are correcr, a burmese is definitely not the snake I would recommend for a beginner. However, since you have already gotten it I will give you all the help I can. Starting off, unless you are planning to breed your snake it really is not important what sex it is( I also do not recommend you trying to breed it). If you must know the sex-please find someone in your area experienced in probing since that is the most reliable way to sex a snake, and it is very delicate work so beginners are discouraged from taking on this task. The fact that you do not have an experienced herp vet near by is a huge set back for you. This means you will have to be extremely vigilant in watching your snake for signs of illness. Respiratory infections can kill a snake if not caught early enough and if not treated by a veterinary professional. Melissa Kaplan has a very detailed care sheet on her website( I checked and we don't have one on here). Her site is wwwmanapsid.org and you can search for burmese python care sheet. It should tell you everything you need to know to keep your snake happy & healthy. My cage for my 12+ ft male burm is 6ft long x 3 ft wide x 2 ft high. They do not need much space over head but they do need plenty of floor space. As far as mites are concerned, if the snake does not have them now and it does not come into contact with a snake that does have them the chances of him getting mites are slim- but you can expose him to mites accidentally if you go to a pet store that has an infested snake. You must be very careful and vigilant in watching out for these parasites. They are tiny and black and look a lot like a grain of black pepper. Good luck with Adolph and keep looking for a vet in your area who has herp experience (a herp vet would be best), but you may have to settle for one who can treat them.

5. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Welcome to HC! I'm sure you'll get a lot of help here as I'm sure when your new snake starts growing you'll have your hands full! Get ready to start saving up for feeders, this guy will eat more than rats in his lifetime and it gets expensive! I might not be able to help with a Burmese, the biggest snake I own is a wee little ball python, but other owners here can and it'll be great for you to talk to them! :)

He is beautiful by the way!

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Unless you have breeding intentions, knowing the gender of your snake is a matter of personal curiosity.

8. Orca

Orca Elite Member

Welcome :) I don't know about Burmese care but your snake is beautiful all the same!