This Disappears When Logged In

My AFT Has a Hard Bump on His Back.

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by vashiscool777, Feb 16, 2013.

1. vashiscool777

vashiscool777 Member

A couple days ago I bought a AFT from the local pet store and it had this bump on his back, its not squishy its like part of his bone structure or something. The owner told me the past owner didn't give it enough Calcium or something. Is that the reason why or is something going on with her?

2. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Is his spine curved or anything? Metabolic bone disease is common when keepers dont give the required type/amount of calcium to their animals. Supplements like calcium powder with and without D3 and reptile vitamins should be offered. Do you have any picture of the gecko?

3. vashiscool777

vashiscool777 Member

It's not curved at all and yes here is a picture of her with the bump. IMG_0068_zpsf61c2a95.jpg

4. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

That could be the spine arching up but I can't tell for sure. A visit to the vet wouldn't hurt.

5. vashiscool777

vashiscool777 Member

I am not sure where i would go to find a vet here. I live in Alamogordo,NM and i have not found any vets that know anything about reptiles, just dogs, cats and birds.

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Can I see a picture from the top?

7. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

A vet would be your best bet. I would contact even a local dog and cat vet to see if they could perform an x-ray. Try one of these two links to see if you can find a herp vet near you:

Reptile Vet Finder
    Herp Vet Connection

My female Leo also has a hard bump on her back near her hip. As per the breeder, she likely suffered a bone break as a hatchling and it just continued to grow with her. It doesn't grow on its own; only grows when she does. A vet inspection confirmed as much, and said as long as it's not causing her mobility issues/pain, then there's really nothing to do or worry about.

It's possible your AFT has something similar, but I would want an X-ray to confirm. The bump could also be a swollen/infected wound or abscess, as both can feel hard to the touch. It's also possible it could be a tumor. Either way, it will be difficult to determine this on your own, or know how to care for your AFT properly without a vet diagnosis.

8. vashiscool777

vashiscool777 Member

Ok I called around and the local vet told me i would have to go into Texas or Arizona, and the problem is I don't have the gas for that .. thats a couple hundred miles away. My local pet shop opened back up again and told me that he should be fine and the bump has been going down lately. So let's just hope!

9. Jetbo

Jetbo Active Member

This might help.
    Alamogordo Reptile Vets in Alamogordo, NM | DexKnows.com