This Disappears When Logged In

My 1st King!

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by Wyldrose, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

A friend of mine, pretty novice snake people bought him from Petsmart a couple months ago. I got him on fuzzies, they where told pinkys. He didn't eat for two weeks for them so they got frustrated(they said he just shed so I am thinking that is why, I'll still get him tested for worms because petsmart snakes are wormy here...) So I traded them my normal male corn snake(Striker) for the king. Striker is well established and he only has one hemipene so I don't want to risk breeding him again.

I have no idea what morph, pretty sure he had more gold on him when they got him. He is a male, when I went to see him when they got him he musked me and his hemipenes where out.
    He's a bit snappy at the moment. I need to think of a name for him now :)
    021-24.jpg
    He never bit them but musks all the time. I'll get him nice soon enough :)

Attached Files:

2. mele

mele Elite Member

King snake musk :-&. I remember holding a king before I had to be in class...can't wash enough :)

3. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

His name is Onyx :) I think he's a Mexican black kingsnake, I'll wait for the experts to post :)

4. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Onyx as in "gotta catch em all?" Beautiful king, I cannot wait to hear how your experiences with his temperament differs from corns.

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Onyx is gorgeous, I don't know my kings, but could it be a desert king (some many types)?? Hopefully one of our King members will chime in. Best of luck with Onyx, nice trade

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL! Where is JLassiter when we need him!

7. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Looks like a Desert King with some nigrita (MBK) influence.
    In Arizona, near the Tucson area, kings can be found in the wild that look like this one.

8. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Thanks so he is probley a mix. Which would explain why I couldn't find any pictures doing some google searches. Think the gold bits will stay or think he'll turn solid black. I am sure he had more pattern/gold when they got him.

9. Swimmer522

Swimmer522 Elite Member

Haha regardless of what morph he is hes beautiful! :)

10. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Adding some more pic's. He's got some crusty looking scales on his nose and around his eyes. Stuck shed? Of maybe the mesh lid from his old home?
    003-38.jpg
    His belly is black no patteren at all
    002-52.jpg
    He settles down after he tries to musk lol!
    006-38.jpg
    As for temperment he is fiesty compared to the corns, once he's done rattling his tail and trying to musk he acts like a corn lol.
    001-43.jpg
    He is a beautiful snake I'm glad I got him :)

Attached Files:

11. SSThorn

SSThorn Elite Member

I like it, :p. I think he's pretty!

12. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Typically nigrita that will turn black do so after a couple of sheds.
    There are "b" grade nigrita that have alot of remnant Desert King Pattern (Splendida).
    The most sought after nigrita turn solid black.
    I like yours because it has that cool striping going on......The yellow/gold should stay with him forever....

Here's my striped splendida:
    IMG_3418.jpg
    IMG_3414.jpg

Attached Files:

13. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

VERY nice! You're lucky, it looks like good trade :)

14. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I know what the crusty stuff on his face was, he shed last night. I am thinking that his old owners thought he shed because he went blue. I am going to see if he'll eat for me tomorrow, my regular feeding day.
    What a beautiful animal
    003-39.jpg
    He is very mellow today, didn't try to musk or anything
    The iridescent shine after they shed makes them so stunning!
    007-38.jpg

Attached Files:

15. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Looking good...

There is a good reason they are called lampropeltis.

Lampropeltis translates to shiny shields.

16. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I offered him a live fuzzy, I have no fuzzies in the freezer currently and he ate no problem :) I think he was just in blue and that is why he didnt eat for my friends! I have to go throught the mouse litters and get some fuzzies in the freezer for him for next week!
    006-39.jpg

Attached Files:

17. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Yep... You'll find that kings eat way better than corns if kept correctly

18. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Thats what I hear, eating machines :) That fuzzy left a nice sized lump. It's nice to have something to eat what the rest don't eat. With the monitor too I will have nothing go to waste!