This Disappears When Logged In

MY 16x30x48 ARBOREAL ENCLOSURE!

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by SebastiansExotics, Nov 30, 2014.

1. SebastiansExotics

SebastiansExotics Elite Member

I have a 100 gallon size "REPTARIUM" that is 30" long, 16" wide, and 4 foot tall!
    It is a screen cage so it gets tons of airflow.

What type of large interactive lizard can I keep in it?

(NO CHAMELEONS!)

Thanks Guys!

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, you can only keep the kind of lizard that doesn`t really require stable heat and humidity which would be quite difficult to achieve in a screen cage (I`m being serious, not sarcastic)!

3. IWantReptiles

IWantReptiles Well-Known Member

Maybe think about Iguanas. I'm not really sure on it though

4. SebastiansExotics

Are there any species small enough that would be able to stay in this enclosure for life?

I am not really aware of any... :/

- - - Updated - - -

I know...

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That is nowhere even close to being big enough for an iguana! And if it was the claws would shred that screen in minutes!

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I'm thinking your idea of large will not work in that area.
    Unfortunately it does seem more suited for Chameleons however as already stated you would still have a difficult time keeping a stable environment.
    To me a screen cage is asking for a dead reptile. An enclosure is a micro-habitat that is best controlled by sealing it off from the environment around it. Then you can actually begin to setup a stable environment.

7. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Unless you plan on keeping an entire room at the conditions necessary for whatever reptile goes in there, you will have a consrant fight on your hands. For all the problems you will have, you'd probably be better off returing the screen cage and using the money to build a suitable cage to fit the reptile you want.

8. SebastiansExotics

I can buy another liner for the back and sides. That way EVERYTHING but the fromt zipper screen is sealed...

How would a group of anoles work in this?

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, I think it would work for Anoles but I wouldn`t call them large or particularly "interactive".

10. Merlin

And even the front screen being open is too much airflow. Its going to be a bugger to heat and humidify.

11. SebastiansExotics

They interact with my hand just fine. It is just not a nice interaction LOL!

I may just get small stuff cause all larger options seem to be out at this point...

- - - Updated - - -

Yep...

12. IWantReptiles

IWantReptiles Well-Known Member

Maybe a tortise... I do not know.

13. ralderfer001

ralderfer001 Active Member

A sugar glider! Not a reptile but cool nonetheless. i know chameleons need constant air flow but dont they need high humidity as well? How is that possible with a screen cage jw? (Sorry for hijacking your thread)

14. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

On the subject of chams, it's usually more work for poor results with a screen cage. They work well if you have a room that is climate controlled for the right conditions, but otherwise screen cages are all but useless. A friend of mine who breeds panthers builds his own cages and only has screen in the door.

15. SebastiansExotics

Sugar gliders are something I always heard were inbred and widely abused because people sell them at stands in a mall calling them "pocket pets". I also heard they are extremely aggressive and make bad pets... My little 8 year old cousins mom asked me if they made good pets for her 8 year old cause a guy at the mall had one in his pocket. Shaking my head...

16. Merlin

That cage would not be big enough for sugar gliders anyway. Think size of a refrigerator!

17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

The problem is that all the arid-region lizards are not arboreal, and all the arboreal lizards won't appreciate a screen enclosure letting out all the humidity they need.

Sell or return it. Use the money to get or make something more suitable.