This Disappears When Logged In

MVBs or florescents, once and for all

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by replover, Dec 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. replover

replover Elite Member

Ok once and for all, what would be best to use, Floresecent tubes (which I am now using) or MVB bulbs?

This is what I have gathered from research:

MVBs
    Pro - Higher UVB output, provides heat as well, spreads UVB over longer distance.
    Cons - Can easily overheat the cage, most bulbs don't show the percentage of UVB on their boxes and the same brand can have differing bulbs, overly bright glare, UVB output decays much faster than florescents and need to be replaced very often.

Florescents
    Pro - Doesn't give off too much glaring light, will not overheat, UVB output decays slower than MVB and thus can be used for a few more months.
    Cons - does not give much heat if needed, UVB is generally less than MVB, and decreases faster over distance.

Am I right? And in general, which one is better?

Lastly, does a MVB bulb produce the same amount of heat as an incandescent bulb with the same wattage?

2. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

For an iguana I'd definately go with a mercury vapor. Flourescents are good for small enclosures, like those for anoles and such, but for a large lizard and an expansive habitat, a mercury vapor will be more practical. Besides, I recomend getting a new UVB bulb every 6 months, regardless of whether its fluorescent or MV.

Check out http://www.uvguide.co.uk and http://reptileuv.com for more good info on UVB lights.

3. empoyner

empoyner Established Member

Welll the MVs you are talking about are SB (self balllasted). But the EBs (external ballasted) don't give off much heat. The ones at Reptile UV last a year. I have one kit for each of my iguanas. The first one I got a year ago and it's still putting out more than 100. I am still using it past the year because I have a UVB meter and can determine it's decay and output. But they are only available online through ReptileUV.com.

4. replover

replover Elite Member

Anyone tried the "Rep Pro" brand mercury vapor bulbs? Are they any good?

5. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Rep Pro lamps are ok. They give off good UVB, but as with most "chinese lamps" are inconsistent in output and decay. Some output is good, some bad, some decay to almost nothing fast, others slowly. Very inconsistent.

BUT, for your location, and your ability to get these lamps, I would say go for it. Buy a few and switch them every few months.

6. replover

replover Elite Member

The thing is though, Rep Pro is made in China by a company in the USA I believe, but so are Exo -Terra etc. Also made in China.

7. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

And they all suffer from the same issue. ;-) It's not the company exactly, it's the manufacturing methods and the quality control they use.

RepPro would be your best choice if you live in China.

8. replover

replover Elite Member

I live in China but I do have access to Zoo med, Exo-Terra etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.