This Disappears When Logged In

Musk Turtle or Map Turtle?

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by lilherpderp, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I havent read anything bad about Turtle Shack but then again I dont shop for turtles I am just randomly given ones.

2. lilherpderp

lilherpderp Member

I know I'm just establishing my reasoning before someone comes on here and tells me all this stud I don't really wanna hear. Would a hatchling be ok in the setup?

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

yeah they would be fine though make sure you know what they people raising them have been feeding them.

4. lilherpderp

lilherpderp Member

Most of the people I have talked to are feeding reptimin baby and alternating between that and with a live food like rosy reds or feeding canned salmon with the bones. I've been told that the salmon is very good for them because it is loaded with d3's that they may not get if the individual doesn't bask much. Does this sound correct?

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

well yes...its the salmon bones that would have the D3 but thats about all it would have since none of the organs are included in the can and thats where the rest of the nutrients come from. If you have a land area you can put a small bowl of phoenix worms on the land and these will be excellent for calcium. Then live fish or blood worms will be a good option for the rest of the nutrients the turtle needs. If you can get them to eat the pellets then that would be good as well.

6. lilherpderp

lilherpderp Member

If I can successfully get it to eat the baby food and some cuttlebone it should have a substantial amount of calcium. I do plan in feeding it blood worms, live minnows and the salmon as well. What are Phoenix worms?

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Phoenix worms are soldier fly larvae and are great inexpensive feeders. Look here for the best prices: Phoenix Worms For Sale | Phoenix Worms | FREE SHIPPING!

I dont think you should feed the salmon. It isnt the best for dietary needs and the baby turtle may have problems swallowing the bones. It is always best to stick with live prey of appropriate size..

8. lilherpderp

lilherpderp Member

Well the bones are soft, so wouldn't it be just as difficult to swallow those as a live feeders bones?

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Its not the softness (though this will make it harder to fracture them to peices) it is the size of the bones. A juvenile turtles neck is about as wide as a pencil and the trachea is even smaller than that. With the salmon they wont chew it as much as they would live feeder bones. And the only feeder thing they really eat with bones are the little fish that have tiny thin bones that are easy enough for them to demolish and pulverize to bits when chewing. The worms dont have any sort of bones.
    Also there is NO nutritional value in the salmon besides the D3 (which they dont need alot of anyways). The D3 will be prevalent in the live fish as well and the live fish will have all the additional nurtients the turtle needs.

I am curious though...Why are you set on feeding canned salmon?

10. lilherpderp

lilherpderp Member

I'm not particularly set on it I suppose, just confused lol this guys turtle had to be at least an inch and half tho however he had fed it that. Haha I'm happy with feeding it anything as long as its healthy

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I have learned that just because others have with limited success doesnt mean its a good option. Plus I would think canned salmon would be quite expensive and hard to feed to a shy turtle. Just throwing it in the water would make the water gross. It may not recognize it in a bowl as with my turtles if it isnt moving then they arent eating it. and hand feeding turtles is just not smart. Their beaks are quite sharp and powerful even as a tiny fellow.

12. lilherpderp

lilherpderp Member

I do plan on feeding outside of the tank. You don't think this will do too stressful for him do you?

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I do actually.

Maybe you could build a box of some sort to use on top of the tank with a ramp leading into the water and then you can train the turtle to come up onto the box (this would be the land area) to eat?
    Otherwise just chasing the turtle around the tank until you catch it so you can move it to a scary "planet" to feed it will cause undue stress and thus may cause the turtle to not eat.

I always have the land area to put bowls of insects on that they can eat on and explore at anytime they want as well as the little fish in their water area that they can also catch whenever they want. It makes it so much easier and stress free if you handle the turtle as little as possible. These are display only pets and as such human contact should be avoided as much as possible. The only times I touch my turtles is once a week when I did complete cleaning of their cage.

14. lilherpderp

lilherpderp Member

Ok. thanks for your advice. How long do you think i would take a hatching stinkpot to outgrow this setup?

15. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

That isn't something that I can tell you definitively as rate of growth depends on diet, cage conditions, and genetics. Also on what size of turtle you get from the beginning. Though with a small turtle it should take a year or so.
    Theoretically the turtle could live his whole life in the 20gal as they are very small turtles but it is better to give them atleast a 55gal tank.

16. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

Turtleshack is horrible, they are known for selling sick and dying turtles and are well known for placing baby turtles in refrigerators in order to slow their growth down so that they have babies to sell during the winter. I was once sadly one of the care experts on their FB page till the horrible stories from customers pushed me to ask questions, questions that got be blocked from the site.

17. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Oh that is bad. Maybe that's were most of my rescue turtles came from?