This Disappears When Logged In

Musk Turtle or Map Turtle?

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by lilherpderp, Jul 7, 2013.

1. lilherpderp

lilherpderp Member

Hi there guys! Alright I posted a picture of my setup as it stands. Its a 20 Gallon long with a HOB filter rated for a 55-75, also with two small clay pots. I have not included other plants, basking spot or heating and lighting until the day before i get the turtle.

Now my question is. Would a musk turtle be ok with this amount of water and with a moderate current and decent output from filter? (I of course will add lots of plants for it if it is needed and able to be at this depth.) Or would a Mississippi map turtle be a better bet at this dept? NOTE: I know neither will be able to stat in this tank their entire lives. But this is the size i will start them in and upgrade to a permanent tank.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and please get back to me asap!! i am hoping to get this turtle on Friday!

Attached Files:

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I think the musk turtle would be a better option.

3. lilherpderp

lilherpderp Member

Thanks for getting back quick. Could you inform me why it is that you think a musk turtle would be the better option? Also what kind of plants and decorations should i add to my setup? Ive never had a musk before. Ive had RES But never really but many decorations in their tanks lol hope to hear from you soon.

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well I think musk and map turtles are fairly similar in care and attitude so my recommendation was based completely on their size.
    Musk turtles are smaller water turtles and thus it will be easier to set up an adult enclosure and less maintenance all around. The smaller size will make for a more manageable pet. Less dirty, less, poop, less fish in one meal, etc.
    Also with their smaller size you can do more decorating and cluttering of cages without hindering how much exercise the turtle can get.

A floating tube or lily pad would be a great option for a basking spot. Live plants are great not only for the fish and water quality but your turtle will eat them as well. I like water lettuce the best though floating plants like duckweed are Brett's as well.
    Besides the floating basking spot (make sure it has a heat lamp over it) and the plants I don't think you need to add much more though sunken make pretty additions or large rocks might as well. For the most part though just stick with the plants.

5. lilherpderp

lilherpderp Member

Alright thanks! And when is best to add fish? And what kind of fish do best with a musk turtle?

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well the fish are basically food and can be added as soon as you get the turtle. Guppies, minnows, and other small fresh water fish are a good option. Small snails are good as well. The smaller the fish the better for the fish.
    Contrary to popular belief large fish will not be ignored by the turtle instead the turtle just takes bites out of their fins so go small.

7. lilherpderp

lilherpderp Member

Now ive seen some people have other freshwater fish like tiger barbs, rainbow sharks, Cory cats, and things of this nature in their musk turtles tank and claim the turtles never touch them. I wonder if that is even remotely true or possible? Or if they are just getting lucky for the time being?

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Depends. Theoretically if the turtle is well fed and exercised then their should be no need for them to hunt large fish-however, its a turtle. Turtles are eating machines and will try to eat anything they can catch. I had several RES with full sized plecos and koi and they did ok for many years and then suddenly the koi started missing pieces of fin until they had none at all. It was very sad to watch so I recommend small cheap fish that you won't mind getting eaten. Rosy red minnows are great for this and still offer some activity in the tank.

9. lilherpderp

lilherpderp Member

Alright great thanks!

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

No problem

11. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

Just as an caveat, I would add a plant that it can climb on to breath, Musk aren't the best swimmers with some seemly unable to do so at all like my Razorback. Its sort of hit or miss how well each one can swim.

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Having a floating log, ramp, or lily pad will do this as well but duckweed is a great plant for floating on top of the water.

13. lilherpderp

lilherpderp Member

I plan on having a hanging plant on the side that will go down into the water and some other plants as well

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Also go ahead and get the tank completely set up and running with lights heater etc for a week or so before adding the turtle. That way everything will be set and the turtle won't be subjected to the stress of you messing around trying to get temperatures and things right.

15. lilherpderp

lilherpderp Member

Thanks Merlin. I planned on doing that as well. Any other tips you guys have?

Also, I planned on getting a juvenile verses hatchling. About How big do you guys think it might be?

16. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

They are usually sold at about 3-4inches long.
    When you buy fish its best to have a seperate tank that you can quarantine them in for awhile before feeding to the turtle. Also when buying fish look at them closely. If they have "bubbles" in them that is a sign of parasites and you should either buy them with some parasite killers or (this is the better option) look elsewhere for the fish. Oh and sparkly fish (pearlescent when they shouldnt be) are also parasite infected and should be avoided.

17. lilherpderp

lilherpderp Member

So juvenile stinkpots are at 3-4 inches? Aren't they supposed to stay 3-5 inches?

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

yes but technically its illegal to sell turtles and torts that are smaller than 4in. Some business get around that buy selling them as "educational" items only but its up to the business themselves.

19. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

DO you know where you will be getting the turtle from? As you can always contact them and request a certain size or ask what size they have available.

20. lilherpderp

lilherpderp Member

Well I'm looking at a few places online that you can get them as hatchlings, juveniles or full grown. I have looked at turtleshack and the turtle source. I've heard some rumors about turtleshack, however I've talked to several people who order hatchlings from them seem to be quiet healthy. And the way I see it, if they do abuse their turtles, ill b saving ones life.?