This Disappears When Logged In

Mud Turtle Id And Gender?

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Yelloweyed, May 20, 2016.

1. Yelloweyed

Yelloweyed Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg I was wondering if anyone could confirm if this is a yellow mud turtle and if it's a female?

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Hi. To be honest, I'm not really too familiar with this species, so I won't say yes or no on the ID. For the gender I'll need a shot from underneath, but I'll hazard an early guess at male. In most aquatic turtles, males have a thicker and often longer tail, with the vent closer to the end, where as females have the vent very near the edge of the plastron. Yours appears male as the tail looks rather thick for a female, but like I said, I'm not really very familiar with this species. That shot of the underside will help though.

3. Yelloweyed

Yelloweyed Member

Plastron tail pic. There is a small hook at the end but the literature is conflicting on whether only makes have a hook.

Attached Files:

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Well, the plastron is flat, and males tend to have a somewhat concave one in other species. So now I'm leaning back towards female. Actually, I'm really leaning towards don't listen to me because I have no clue, lol. Tail still looks a bit male to me. Just not enough experience with these for me to say. Sorry not to have been more help.

5. Garters45

Garters45 Well-Known Member

I'm almost certain you got the ID right. That seems to be a female, but I could be wrong.

6. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

I'm comfortable with Yellow Mud Turtle and female to boot.

7. Garters45

What do you plan on keeping her in? They get to a decent size. Nice turtle though! You caught her?

8. Yelloweyed

Yelloweyed Member

I bought her off Craigslist and I have her in a 70 gallon reservoir 'tank'. I have a bunch of driftwood, water hyacinth, duckweed, anacharis and hornwort. I DIYed a Wendy filter and it seems to be working pretty well. She has sand substrate and with 3 Cory catfish for clean up.

I think she's full size at 5.5 inches. The previous owner had her for 10 years and thought she was an adult when she got her.

9. Garters45

Very cool! She won't eat the cory cats? Most turtles will.