This Disappears When Logged In

Moving Plants to a Different Pets Enclosure

Discussion in 'Tropical Plants' started by VickiC, Jul 28, 2012.

1. VickiC

VickiC Elite Member

I am the ultimate killer of plants. I'm lucky if silk plants don't drop dead by my presence. On one of my poorer judgement days I decided to buy a few of the little live plants that Petco sells for reptile enclosures. I actually purchased two each, of two different varieties of plants. I don't know what kind of plants they are (not a good idea I know) just that Petco said that they would be safe for both the gecko and the frog. I believe that both species are supposed to be tropical plants, however they're actually doing slightly better in the geckos enclosure than they were in the frogs.

I recently moved the frog to a new enclosure and she has a variety of fake plants, live moss, and pothos in with her now. We'll see how long it takes me to kill all of those off, but at this point she has a significant amount of foliage and really doesn't have a lot of free space to cram her old plants into.

My concern now is the two scrawny little Petco plants that were in her old enclosure. I don't normally transfer any decorations, dishes, etc between the gecko, frog, and corn snake enclosures for obvious reasons. I do know how to go about cleaning most of those to make it safe should the need arise...but I really don't think it will ever be necessary. However, it would be nice to move the plants that were in the frogs old tank into the geckos enclosure where they seem to do a bit better. The plants are still in the little plastic that they come in when you buy them from Petco and are filled with the original gel stuff that you just keep adding water to.

Is there a way to safely move these plants to the geckos enclosure? Perhaps if I remove the plants from the containers that they're in and wash the leaves and roots and then add them to the containers in the geckos tank so that the little plastic pots and gel gunk doesn't get moved over with them? I really don't want to risk my geckos health and the plants were fairly inexpensive so if there are any doubts I would prefer to just toss them out. I figured it was worth checking to see if anyone had any experience in this area first though.

Thanks!
    Vicki

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If you post a picture of the plants maybe we can ID them for you.
    Live plants in a leo tank could raise the humidity in the tank too much unless they are cacti or succulents that don't need much moisture.

3. VickiC

VickiC Elite Member

I don't see any need to have them identified, because you're absolutely right. I don't know much, but I do know that they're not cacti or succulents. The two little ones that are in her tank now haven't caused an issue with humidity, but I'm sure it's because they're still so small. It doesn't seem like adding more of an improper plant regardless of whether I could get an frog cooties off of it or not is a good plan.

Thank you for pointing out the obvious since it went right over my head in this case. I'll keep an eye on her humidity with the little plants that she currently has for now and will remove them if they become a problem. I'll do some research to be sure that I'm adding the appropriate type of plants if I decide to use any live plants at all when I move her to her larger enclosure.

4. VickiC

VickiC Elite Member

On second thought that's not a very intelligent choice. Here's a quick picture of each of them. My ignorance of these plants really is a bit of cause for concern. My Leo hasn't payed any attention to them, but it would be a good idea to know what they are on the off chance that the ones that are currently in her enclosure aren't safe for her for reasons other than the possible rise in humidity.

Also, if humidity is to become an issue I suppose the original question about the safety of transferring them to another pets enclosure would still apply. The Kassina Maculata can't seem to have enough plants to hide in at this point, so if there's a safe way to clean them and move them over I should probably be finding a spot and stuffing them all in with her for now regardless of whether it blocks my view of the front of the tank.

th_Plant1.jpg

th_Plant2.jpg

Thanks
    Vicki

Attached Files:

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You are correct, there still would be the issue of possibly bringing some sort of nasty in with them.
    The first one appears to be a spathiphyllum or "peace lily" and it is known to be mildly toxic to humans.
    The bottom one appears to be some sort of bromilad. Neither would be a good fit in a dry environment.

6. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

Those look better than the plants I'm killing in my tokay gecko's home! But my plants in with my crested gecko look great. I don't think there is even room in my leopard gecko enclosures for plants.

7. VickiC

VickiC Elite Member

Thank you very much for the identification. I'll be sure to move them out before the begin to whither away in there or mess with my humidity, though I can't say they'll fare much better anywhere else in my house. It's worth a shot though. I'll certainly refrain from transferring them to another pets enclosure as it doesn't sound as if there's any way to really ensure that they are clean from all bacteria, etc.

I actually cheated...those are the plants from the geckos tank and not the ones I took from the frogs tank. They're the exact same type of plants, but the ones from the frogs old tank look REALLY sad and are even smaller. I thought they might be easier to identify if they weren't half dead.

Are the plants that you have in with your tokay and crested gecko in planters or are they actually planted in the enclosures? I was admiring a beautiful tokay while buying crickets the other day, but beyond that I'm ignorant of what is used for their substrate, their temp and humidity requirements, etc.

I planted some pothos, and live moss directly into my frogs new enclosure and so far it seems to be doing great. I can't say it will stay that way though...especially since she picked her favorite moss, which had to be a type of low mossy plant and not the ground cover moss all over the place in there, and started her newest burrow beneath it. If she ever gets comfortable enough to start hunting and getting truly active she'll have the place dug up in no time.