This Disappears When Logged In

Mouth Rot

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by labelleninirose, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. labelleninirose

labelleninirose Elite Member

Okay, I checked my snake again and now I really think she has mouth rot. Here is a pic of what it looks like.

[​IMG]

I know the pic is not the best quality but it was not easy holding her while doing that. I know I need to see a vet, the only time I can go down to the vet is on next friday. Omg, now im worried.

2. labelleninirose

I rubbed some alcohol with a qtip and a piece of flesh came off. Definitely not normal! Monday I'm calling and if I have to miss school so be it! I have no idea how she got this and it makes me so mad....I don't want to lose her.. What should I do until the vet visit??

3. labelleninirose

4. metylvamp

metylvamp Elite Member

5. labelleninirose

Is there a good chance that she will live if I get her to a vet next week? She did eat this week fine! I'm so worried, I don't think I'll be able to sleep

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Amp up her heat a few degrees, it'll help until you can get her in.

I'm going to copy a passage out of this book for you:

Amazon.com: What's Wrong With My Snake? A User-Friendly Home Medical Reference Manual (The Herpetocultural Library): John Rossi, Roxanne Rossi: Books

in addition to injectable antibiotic therapy, topical medication of the mouth is usually necessary. Topical Povidone Iodine (Betadine) works well in most cases, and hydrogen peroxide has also been useful in many cases ... To administer any solution, gently open the mouth and place several drops of it on the top and bottom of the snakes mouth depending on the severity of the stomatitis. Do this after removing any necrotic tissue.

The Merck/Merial Home Veterinary Manual suggests supplements with Vitamins A and C may be helpful, though it says nothing about doses.

7. labelleninirose

Okay I'll use peroxide to clean it tomorrow! Please tell me she will live :( I'm calling Monday and hope they have an opening on Tuesday.

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

There are a lot of antibiotic therapies available to treat mouth rot, and most of them are successful. It isn't one of those infections that is resistant to treatments (at least not as bad as some nightmare RI's I have heard about.) You caught it early, you have the means to at least try to slow it down with peroxide/betadine, I think the odds are very much in your favor.

9. labelleninirose

Thank you dragoness, I'm so worried, can someone tell me how she could of gotten this??? I have no idea what I have done!

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Small injuries (such as a broken tooth) can often result in mouth rot, or an unclean enclosure, though I suspect maybe your ball had the broken tooth. I know you stay on top of everything else.

11. labelleninirose

She has an appointment on Monday at 1pm! I totally begged the woman to make sure I have a place on Monday! from the outside of her mouth the injuries looks better, and she is still moving from one hide to another. I got the humidifier running 24/7 so the place can stay around 55-60%. I feel a lot better that she will be seen by a vet...Just a little worried since I will be missing a test!

12. labelleninirose

The redness has almost gone in the night! I dont understand! I put more peroxide this morning and I did buy some betadine. looks a lot better but still look irritated and still a piece of flesh hanging there. I'm still going to take her to the vet for sure.

13. Maya

Maya Elite Member

Sorry you are missing a test, it is probably stressful, sending good vibes your way for both you and your girl. Keep us posted, I read with interest.

14. labelleninirose

Thank you Maya, I never handle a sick pet at all in any good way! I always get in such a stressful mode I just don't eat and panic. I'm like that...and yes for sure Monday night you will be getting some news on her.

15. angrykitten

angrykitten Elite Member

I found this article on the web. It is addressed to wildlife rehabilitators, but it has some useful info about how to flush the mouth, modification of the environment, etc.
    I am sure your beautiful ball python will go back to perfect health with the help of a vet.

Ulcerative Stomatitis (Mouthrot) in Reptiles

16. labelleninirose

Thank you for the site!!!! I can't really do a full washing of the mouth but I do clean the irritated area with peroxide and betadine. she seems to be getting better. the vet might be able to clean out her mouth correctly. I dont have a good technique to open there mouth.

17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'm glad to hear that things already seem to be improving! Your snake will be just fine, I'm sure. It's a lucky thing she (he?) has an owner that cares as much as you do. We'll all be waiting to hear back on Monday how things went.

18. labelleninirose

The redness is still there but no sign of puss, or necrosis at all! it might just be a broken tooth but it is on the outside of her lip as well...I think she will be okay too. Thank you for the nice compliment and yes she's a she :p

19. labelleninirose

So I did not get to go to my appointment this afternoon because of a mega snow storm that hit my area and closed the autoroute (no idea what that is in English) so anyways I'm going tomorrow for now she is doing so-so she shed fine and looks perky. Her mouth is not better but is not much worse either. The redness is now on her lower gum but no puss, she yawned after I put some peroxide in her mouth and I could see no tissue damage in the back or middle of her mouth so I'm hoping she will be okay. Wish us luck, we need it :(

20. Kolada

Kolada Member

Hey good luck to you. I hope all works out. I think the word you were looking for is highway. Where are you from?
    EDIT: Quebec, ok I should have looked 3 inches up lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.