This Disappears When Logged In

Mouth Rot?! (Flipping Out)

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by Katsura, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Okay so here's the deal

My carpet python Rorschach is super deep in shed. When I was getting ready to go to bed I noticed her moving around and opening her mouth like she usually does when she's shedding.

Well I like to look inside snakes mouths because it's interesting, not to mention it's a good way to see if something is wrong, so naturally I settled down in front of her tank and sat perfectly still to watch her.

And let me tell you I did NOT like what I saw. In fact, it worried me to the point where I had Nathan help me get a look and take pics. The yellow spots on the top of her mouth worry me, the bubbling worries me, and down on her tongue area there seemed to be a blackish growth that was not part of the tongue sheath (I forget the name currently, sorry) but something else entirely.

Her neck doesn't look very much different from what it usually does.

She's been eating normally and acting normally. She refused the rat we gave her last week (well Friday technically), but I'm attributing that to the start of a shed cycle. She hasn't been holding her mouth weird, she's been eating just fine. I haven't noticed any discharge from either the mouth or the nose and she hasn't been wheezing, whistling, or sneezing.

Nothing in the room or her cage has really changed. The only problem is that since it's been dumping oceans on us lately combined with the fact that apparently neither the a/c nor the heat works, temps have been a little wonky for my snakes. They're not cold, mind you, but a bit cooler than they should be. I've been trying everything within my power to stabilize them but it's been tricky as one day it's super cold and another it isn't. Not trying to make excuses, just explaining.

Anyway, I'm coming to you all for advice and opinions because I'm flipping the heck out. I've never had to deal with this, I've never seen it in person, I don't know what's going on. I don't know if I'm just having late night (technically early morning) panics or if something is actually wrong.

20130916_032619_zps7c95c9ee.jpg

20130916_032625_zpsc54c8385.jpg

20130916_032703_zps0daeae60.jpg
    Side view so you can see the side of her neck / head. It looks a bit swollen to me but I've worked myself up so much I can't really tell.

Thanks guys.

Attached Files:

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

It does look questionable to me, too.

I'd try to get the snake to a vet. In the meantime, keep the water dish super-clean, and perhaps rinse the mouth with an iodine solution. Won't fix the problem entirely, but will slow it down until a vet can see it. (suggestion from my merck veterinary manual - a very handy book indeed)

And of course, boost the temps if possible, even if it means temporarily switching the snake into a smaller hospital style bin that would be easier to manage the temps in.

In my experiences, it is always better to be safe than sorry. I would much rather find out from the vet that I overreacted than that I ignored something I should have noticed.

3. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Yeah I was already planning on taking her to the vet, but you know in the meantime it's nice to get an idea of what to expect...

4. Sarandacotah

Sarandacotah Well-Known Member

Is she doing better?