This Disappears When Logged In

Mounting Dome Lights in Top of Large Wood Enclosure Versus Fixtures Inside?

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by gpolkin, Mar 8, 2013.

1. gpolkin

gpolkin Well-Known Member

I am close to finishing a 5.5 H x 4 W x 30 inch deep water dragon enclosure I have been working on. Based on comments posted on this forum my initial plan was to mount halogen floods on pivoting fixtures attached to the top inside the enclosure. I also will have a uvb Arcardi tube fixture and a CHE.

I am considering trying to gain some extra vertical climbing space by having the halogens in domes mounted flush with the top with most of the dome sticking out the top. I realize I may loose a little heat but I gain vertical and have less obstructions in the climbing area.(Note I am losing vertical because I have an aquarium in the bottom 20 inches) For the most part the enclosure will be 3/4 plywood with a glass door.

Thanks in advance.

Greg

2. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

Re: Mounting Dome Lights in Top of Large Wood Enclosure Versus Fixtures Ins

I had to make this decision as well recently. I would think your enclosure is big enough that the 6 inches or so that you lose from the top wouldn't make that much of a difference. Especially for the pros of having them inside the enclosure.

But then again where is your CHE going, if you have a bunch of things sticking down inside the enclosure, it may start getting cramped.

I put everything inside and sealed it all up, so its kind of like its own little greenhouse. To have domes above the enclosure cant be sealed up as well.

Its definitely preference though.

3. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Either way will work, but making a separate cabinet/housing to mount your lighting in is the best route. Not only will you provide a safer lighting setup, but you would also retain heat and humidity and hide unsightly bulb holders/fixtures. You can also mount switches and timers inside the cabinet. You can get a good idea of what I mean by looking here.

4. jarich

jarich Elite Member

I agree, the lights should be protected but should stay inside the enclosure. If you have the top of the lights/hoods sticking outside it will act like a small fan, drawing heat and humidity up out of the enclosure. Youll have a much harder time keeping the temps and humidity where you want them to be.

5. gpolkin

gpolkin Well-Known Member

Thanks for your input guys. I am going to mount them inside today.

Greg

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Vers setup would work as well for maintaining humidity. As long as the main box is sealed well, you could have a false ceiling. Even use a light diffuser such as egg crate.