This Disappears When Logged In

Mounting Ceramic Heaters

Discussion in 'Heating' started by CWDDoug, Jun 14, 2011.

1. CWDDoug

CWDDoug Active Member

I want to add another heater into my cage to raise variable temps near the bottom not just the top (5' tall cage).

The Question: Is it okay to have ceramic heaters at an angle? I would have to mount it from the back of the cage instead of just on top. I know some bulbs have sensitive filaments and should not be installed at an angle. Is this true for Ceramic heaters as well?

Thanks!

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

CHE's can be mounted sideways. But you will have to have some sort of guard on it to protect he animal. And if it gets water splashed its a goner.
    Is there a reason you need it warmer down on the bottom? I have always used mine at the top of the enclosures and let this establish a thermal gradient.

3. CWDDoug

CWDDoug Active Member

The bottom during the day ranges around 76-78 where as the top is around 80-82 (non-basking). This is for a CWD.

I wanted to put it near the middle so it will raise the bottom 2-3 degrees and the top one or so.

The one I have on the top is a 60w, but the ceramic fixture I have is only rated for 60w, otherwise I'd go for a higher one. Will changing that to a 120w and a different fixture help the bottom temps enough to not need another heater (while not raising top temps drastically)?

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Try replacing the 60 watt with a 100 watt household bulb and see what that does to your temperatures.

5. DimitrisDaisy

DimitrisDaisy Elite Member

Yeah, those ambient temps a the top are too cool. They need temps of 84 to 88, so I think it would be a good idea to get higher watt bulbs (and fixtures) for the top of your cage.

What are you measuring temps with? Dial, stick-on-glass strip, or digital with probe?

6. CWDDoug

CWDDoug Active Member

Ill try and see what a bulb does, but I keep the heater on at night, and the cage is in my bedroom right now.

I use digital with probes, I put them where he hangs out the most. I'm pretty sure his humidifier is cooling the cage off a bit. My MegaRay also burnt out (4th one...) so I had to get a Powersun to hold over until MegaRays are off backorder. I noticed a 2 degree difference with Megarays.

Ill be moving to a new place in a few weeks so I may hold off and see what temps will range when I get to my new place.

Thanks for the tips!