This Disappears When Logged In

Mother Spider and Hundreds of Babies

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by fishman10, Apr 17, 2012.

1. fishman10

fishman10 Active Member

Found this spider with egg sacks around the house. Waited two weeks until they hatched. Only 2 of the 5 sacs have hatched and there are literally hundreds of baby spiders. They dont appear to be leaving the nest after a weeks worth of time. Im wondering if the mother will catch an subdue an insect to let them feed before they leave the nest.

Hundreds of baby spiders

2. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

ewww spiderss!!!

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

They usually stay together for a while then go on their own ways. I love seeing these clusters of babies, spiders are so great to have around the house.

4. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Ewww :) Send some my way! The crickets like to get loose at times! Thankfully the cats like the hunt :) lol

5. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

so why are spiders usefull to have? i hate them!

6. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Spiders are awesome! I'm gonna breed tarantulas

7. mele

mele Elite Member

I think they are beautiful. Thanks for sharing. I have a few spiders I saved from being squished.
    I think they make a cool little pets. My oldest is three.

8. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Sorry but that's asking for a can of raid at my house.
    I sleep with my mouth open. ;)

9. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

That has me cringing. Spiders are the only thing I cannot tolerate. I will save them and move them outside, but I don't want a hundred plus possibly getting to my bed at night. lol

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Because they prey on the nasty bugs that get into our house.
    In fact in many cultures having spiders in the home is a sign of good luck.

11. Erwynn

Erwynn Elite Member

Once the spiderlings are out they're on their own for food. They are still probably absorbing their eggsac which will provide them with some nutrients until they venture off on their own. When you breed tarantulas you have to feed them yourself because they have no where to go, but you'll most likely notice their numbers depleting after a while as they wander off on their own life journey. The mother will actually eat them if they hang around too long. But it depends on the species a lot of times.

12. fishman10

fishman10 Active Member

Spider are very good at keeping pest around your house out. I have caught and handled 100's of spiders and never been bite. Im talking wild tarantulas, orb weavers, daring jumpign spiders, dimorphic jumping spiders, water spiders and many I didnt identify. Most of the time spiders leave humans alone. Occasionally you threaten one and it bites but not often.