This Disappears When Logged In

Mother Eating Babies.

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by lizardhoarder139, Oct 12, 2014.

1. lizardhoarder139

lizardhoarder139 Elite Member

Hi guys, I have a VERY small mouse colony. My white female was a first time mom this last time she gave birth and didn't take it very well.
    She ended up eating them the second day, it bumbed me out because It was also my first litter in a long time.
    I want to try to breed her again but is this a bad idea? Are there any suggestions on what to change for next time? Thanks!

2. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Could be diet based. Could have been first time mother issues. There honestly could be several reasons. Is she housed alone? What do you feed?

3. lizardhoarder139

Yes she is housed alone. I feed her mostly mouse and rat feed from my local feed store. It has seeds, oats, and other things. Also I feed her dog food sometimes for protein.

4. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Toss out that store bought stuff. Its horrible for rats and mice. Find a good mouse forum. They'll all suggest a homemade diet. Pregnant and nursing mice need a sort of high protein level. A lot of times they'll eat babies to get protein to try and keep the others alive. She may have eaten them after they died as well... the only real way to know is to try again.

5. lizardhoarder139

Thanks!! All I do know is that she was eating them alive, one was still alive while she was eating it, and another one was also with a huge gash in it's side, she was definitely freaking out. Ok yea I'll try different food :) I knew that stuff had to be no good.
    I'll try again and see what happens.

6. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Its also possible that the litter was some how defective. Or... did you disturb her after she gave birth??

7. lizardhoarder139

No I didn't, I actually left her alone to do what she wanted. I remembered from when I was breeding rats, so I tried not to even walk in the room

8. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Hmm. Well, I'm sorry. I ended up with a pregnant mouse when we got some pets. She was housed with others and had her babies inside a PVC y tube. Everyone came out fine and dandy. I started holding the babies at 3 days old with proper hand washing and bedding rubbing techniques. Now I've got some super cuddly boys and some 'run away til you catch me and then you can love me" girls out of it. Such brats!

9. lizardhoarder139

Haha!! Yea when I was breeding my rats, they were pets and the mother did so well her first litter! So this one has bumbed me out.
    These mice are treated as pets around here, I just wanted to breed them every once on awhile for some extra food, but it doesnt seem to be working the way I planned!

My male rat used to run away from me all the time then run at me full force and attack my hand. He was very playful lol :p

10. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Ha. Boys. Always better than girls. I had one that used to kiss me.

11. lizardhoarder139

Haha yupp, he did that too!!