This Disappears When Logged In

Most Horrible Birthday!

Discussion in 'Over the Rainbow' started by mues155, Mar 4, 2011.

1. mues155

mues155 Elite Member

Its my friend Kelly's 40th birthday today...but it was off to the worst start when she woke to find her 12 year old Congo African Grey parrot dead on the floor. She had adopted a St. Bernard mixed breed dog from the humane society about 2 weeks ago. The dog had somehow got the cage open by bending the cage door, and killed the bird. The dog also starting chewing the feet of another parrot she had...OH MY GOODNESS!
    How horrible is that? Like yay I just adopted a nice dog, and I like her, but she now murdered my parrot Ive had for about 10 years, and on my birthday. Double whammy...She did say she is taking the dog back to the humane society...for the safety of her other parrots.
    I'm just kind of bad at knowing what to say to people that has had something really bad happen to them...

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm not very good with this type of thing either! You could volunteer to go with her, I know when my friend had to put he dog down she couldn't drive. Ask her if there is anything you can do for her, just be there for her.
    Thats a very sad story!

3. mues155

mues155 Elite Member

Ya I went and visited her today and she bawled on my shoulder a while...hope that helped her ok.

4. andys3ballpythons

andys3ballpythons Elite Member

bad dog! that is a horrible birthday, tell your friend my condolences are sent

5. Medium

Medium Elite Member

That is a shame, I am sorry for the loss...be well!

6. mues155

mues155 Elite Member

thanks guys!
    I cant believe the dog would be able to bend that cage. Parrot cages are very sturdy. and to do it so silently that the noise didnt wake Kelly.
    The other bird that got his feet chewed on is in bad condition. His name is Max hes a double yellow headed amazon parrot. The dog chewed off a section of Max's wing starting at the carpal joint (the wrist) and that included all of the birds primary flight feathers. He will never fly again, and may lose some digits on his toes. Poor guy is on pain killers and antibiotics.
    Hope he will be ok.

7. Medium

Medium Elite Member

We never think something can happen the way it ends up happening...I lost a FB Toad and never thought he could get out, and he did!! We just can not know these things ahead of time. It's the preventable ones that really hit you hard.

Don't beat your self up to bad!! I know how you feel!!

8. mues155

mues155 Elite Member

Thats the part that sucks is that is that it was preventable.
    I think thats what shes so upset about. An african grey should like to at least 50 with a good diet and such. But he didnt need to die...thats the part thats the worst. :(

9. mld

Did she bring the dog back yet?

10. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Oh my...how horrible:(..I can't even begin to imagine how I would have felt if I woke up to that on ANY day...let alone my 40th birthday...I'm glad you were there for her....as you stated, not too much you can really do or say, other than just let her know you are there for her...
    It is a horrible loss in itself to lose a beloved pet, and also such a shame to have that occurance associated with her birthday....if anyone is in need of a "do-over" I would say she is...(and actually it might be reason enough to have an "unbirthday" party/event, in which she can at least get out of the house and have an enjoyable night out on the town.)

11. mues155

mues155 Elite Member

Apparantly she cant until tomorrow. This time she has the dog is locked in a different room at night and when shes away from the house.
    I would agree! Just sucks that she was rescuing a dog and she gets repaid by it killing her one bird that means the most to her. ugg.
    Shes holding up ok, this thing will just take time.

12. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

I can completely understand what your friend is going through, we lost one of our parrots to one of our cats a couple of years ago. It was an accident that the bird got out, and the cat was just being a cat. I still haven't got over it, don't think I ever will.
    Please give your friend my condolences.

13. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Old yeller time... we had a daschound do that to a quaker we had. Since became an outside dog lol.

14. mld

How is the other bird doing?

15. mues155

mues155 Elite Member

The other bird is on painkillers and antibiotics. He will lose some digits on his toes but should be able to recover just fine.
    I just cant imagine what i would do if this happened to me. Ive only had my grey for 3 years, i cant imagine losing him after 10...ugg i suppose one day he will have to go...maybe my bird will just make it easy and outlive me :)