This Disappears When Logged In

Morelia spilota cheynei

Discussion in 'Pythons *General*' started by jacky, Aug 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

Who's got one of those beautiful Australians? If you have one,I'd like to know if they really as agressive as I'm reading on the net?Must put on my wish list,they are beauties.
    My wishlist grows and grows,but my aim is to be able to own all of these snakes on the list,in this life and if I would get the last one when I'm 85 years of age,LOL! :D ;)

2. Amber

Amber Elite Member

I don't have one now, but I had a hatchling for a few months. Unfortunatly for the snake I didn't look after him as well as I could of :( He didn't die or anything, but due to a lack of thermometer at that time, i didn't know his heatmat didn't work, and so he wouldn't eat. I ended up being 'advised' by my parents to take him back to the shop. This was 2 years ago.

But yes, I have yet to see a snake more aggressive than he was, the person that bought him from the shop after me, agreed with this. He was only a hatchling though and I'm sure as he grew up he wouldn't of been as bad.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I now check heat mats much more often!

3. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

What a cutie.Did you ever consider to take another of these snakes?They are so beautiful.They are tree snakes and quite active during the day,too!

4. Amber

Amber Elite Member

I think about it a lot, but I REALLY HATE getting bitten :p

I decided to get my pair of rainbow boas instead, and they are so awesome!

I do still love the Morelia snakes, and at some point I know I will have to get one!

5. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

thats a neat looking snake. i love rainbows though. so gorgeous. :)

6. Amber

Amber Elite Member

They are, I'm waiting for the female to shed, so I can post pics! :D

7. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

I'd strongly disagree with the aggressive behaviour accusation - jungles are not bad tempered snakes, in fact quite the opposite. Hatchlings and juveniles can be quite wirey and snappy, but quickly calm down with regular handling, and become a nice species to own.

True jungles only get to around 6ft in length, and so are much smaller than their cousins the coastal, but often the jungles being sold can be cross-breeds and therefore can grow larger and need more space.

We own Monty, who we believe to be a coastal x jungle,. he has the markings and colouration of a jungle but is the size of a coastal. Apart from that we are not blessed to own any true jungles yet,. they are quite hard to get hold of, and quite expensive. We know some people with jungles, and they are very beautiful snakes.

Similar to these guys are the irian jayas, have you looked into them Jacky? - we have a yearling pair of irians, who again top out at about 5 or 6ft and are a much more slender species. Again hatchlings can be snappy but they quickly calm down with regular handling and do well in an enclosure of 3ft x 2ft for one adult.

The difference with the morelias is that jungles are arboreal snakes, and need more height than the others, whereas coastals and irians will climb if given the opportunity but it is not so detrimental to their health if they can't climb. Next issue in Reptile Care (Nov) we are featuring articles on the jungle and the irian jayas, I can send you a copy if you like, or i can email you the articles over so you can read a bit more about them?

Here are some pics of our morelias - 1] Monty, our coastal x jungle.
    2 & 3] Atlas and Inanna, our irian jayas, as hatchlings.
    4 & 5] Atlas more recently
    6 &7 ] Inanna more recently - Note how much their colour has changed in a year or so! :)

Attached Files:

8. Bitis Gabonica

Pics 6 & 7

Attached Files:

9. Amber

Amber Elite Member

Wow, they look awesome! I love the blue tongue!

10. Bitis Gabonica

Thanks Amber :)

11. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Rachel, I agree with your statement about an aggressive snake. And I'm probably going to offend someone with this so I apoligize in advance.

There is no such thing as an agressive snake, snakes by nature are defensive, their only defense is to bite. A snake will not chase you down and bite you for fun, in fact snakes would rather not bite you, since we are not a food source and the chances of them loosing teeth are rather high, the snake would, in nature, turn tail and run. Young snakes are programmed to think that everythig is a predator waiting to eat them, that is why they bit us. If I thought something was going to eat me I'd probably bite them myself. Whenever Steve Irwin says "She's such an agressive girl" while hilding a snake by the last two inches of the tail and crushing the vertabrate I get upset, if you grabbeda person on the tail and pinched it would get upset as well.

Sorry, but this is my opinion, but knowing a snakes mannerisms before you handle it is the key to not getting bitten. Can accidents happen, sure. But I know my patternless pine snake does not like being picked up, and when I have to clean her cage she rattles her tail and hisses at me, does this make her aggressive, certaintly not. She is just defending herself with a warning to me.

12. Amber

Amber Elite Member

I remember reading about the defensive Vs Aggressive thing on arachnoboards, and I totally agree that most of the time the animal is being defensive, if not overly so.
    I did say he was aggressive before, but I shouldn't of, he was acting in his defence. If I was in his scales then, I would of bitten me too!
    I feel bad for my baby snakes when they look so scared of me, and I probably often do deserve to be bitten, when I am not, which makes me appreciate their docility more!

13. Bitis Gabonica

Jay, well said! :)

Amber, i'm sure you don't deserve to get bitten!! :p

Jay is right though - a snake is only "aggressive" in two circumstances; 1]when scared or feeling threatened, 2]when hungry :p

14. josco79

josco79 Member

Hi,

This has been a very interesting thread. I am a breeder of Irian Jayas and find them to be thoroughly entertaining and a joy to have in my home. I agree that with proper handling most snakes will tolerate us and not mind being held. My male is very curious, and if he sees you by the cage he comes to the door to "ask" to be let out. BTW: he is 7'4" so not everything you hear about these guys is accurate. Also, I find these snakes to be VERY arboreal, so if you do decide to add them to your collection I highly recommend enough room vertically for climbing.

You can see my male "Raya" at: http://josco79.blogspot.com/

Bitis Gabonica - I were sure love to read your article. If you could send me a copy I would REALLY appreciate it. josco79@kimes.tv

Cheers!

15. Electrophile

Electrophile Elite Member

Sheila the jungle carpet is pretty nippy as a young'en and she's my first arboreal/semi arboreal snake, so it is a little tricky to get her to unwind from her branches. I have had her a week, though she ate her 17 day old mouse pup a few days ago no sweat. So yesterday, I started the handling regime. She got scared when I goofed with the "baby snake hook" (aka-a coat hanger) and peed on me, but didn't bite. Today, she came out with the hook no problem and climbed and sat on my hand as I watched "The Most Extreme Snakes" on Animal Planet. :D

I had a plain dowelrod in there (she's in Smaug's cage unless/until I find him though he never used it) and decided to install some natural branches I got from a pet store that were made for a pet bird. I love how easy it is to put branches in a plastic sweater box if you've got a soldering iron handy...only problem with dowelrods with BRBs and I guess jungle carpets is that the somewhat high humidity makes the dowelrods mildewy after a while. I need to run out to the hobby store and get another...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.