This Disappears When Logged In

More Western Hog Eggs

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by Amelia, May 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amelia

Amelia Elite Member

Well that last clutch of 7 went bad, as the first clutch of 8 did, no suprise there, they didn't look that great when we found them either, although last night we caught a female laying, still had 1 left in her this morning, if its not out by the time we get home we will have to assist her, she has already gotten 3 good ones out, these are the best looking ones from the westerns of the year, pure white, and they are calcified very nicely, so best of hopes with this clutch and the ones that will be following with the rest of the females, I am hoping that our camera card comes today, and I do promise to be taking a bunch of pics as soon as it comes, so be patient, good things come with time lol.

2. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Congratulations! Our female laid a total of 31 but all were infertile. We learned a valuable lesson from her though - don't assist your female laying, leave her to it and she will push it out eventually, seems to be a pattern for hoggies! :D

Good luck with the eggs, i hope they hatch for you.

3. Ryan

Ryan Elite Member

i hope they hatch for u 2 :D

4. venus

venus Founding Member

Congrats Amelia. That is awesome. Keep us posted .:)

5. Amelia

Amelia Elite Member

31 eggs for one female western?

6. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Yep. There is the possibility that she double-clutched but since she laid them all sporadically it was hard to know for sure. If so, her first clutch was around 19 and the second 12. All were laid very close together though so also likely to be a single clutch. She's a big girl, but not the biggest. :p

Our friend had a female weigh in at 6-700g this year! Ours weighed in around 500g before breeding. Alas all infertile, but she will breed again next year, and hopefully produce fertile next time. This was her first breeding so not too upset that we didn't get a successful breed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.