This Disappears When Logged In

More Parasites!!! Internal!!!

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Lollipopgecko, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Lollipopgecko

Lollipopgecko Well-Known Member

He has more parasites! They look like tapeworms. There are three of them sticking directly out of his vent. I think they are dead and he's excreting them. image.jpg image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I'll try to get a picture of it when it's fully excreted.

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

You can treat him with panacur to kill off most internal parasites but your going to have to force a syringe into his mouth to dose him. and you will need to completely sanitize his cage multiple times a day while you are treating him so he doesnt get reinfected.

3. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

You should definitely take him to the vet at this point!!!

4. Lollipopgecko

Ok, my mom and I are taking him to the vet. She hasn't told me when yet but it will have to be very very soon! I have one of the worms in a container to bring with so the vet can identify it. Here's another picture. image.jpg image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Oops, I accidentally uploaded the same pic twice!

5. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

Good choice :) It's worth his health

6. Lollipopgecko

Wait, won't I need a fecal sample too?

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yes but it would need to be a fecal sample taken from within 24hrs of your visit. The worm will help though if your unable to get a sample.

It could very well be tapeworms. My tortoise had them when I got him.

8. Lollipopgecko

Ok, thanks for the info. I didn't know that.

9. Lollipopgecko

We sent the tape worm thing to the vet today, my mom and I are taking the turtle to the vet on Friday.

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Thats good to know. Hopefully they will have some answers when you get there.

11. Lollipopgecko

Yeah, I hope so too. Wait, how do you even get a turtle to the vet?

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

He can be dry for awhile. Just put him in a dark tupperware with a warm towel and he will be fine.

13. Lollipopgecko

Ok, but now they said they need a fecal sample too. T__T

14. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

oK...Do you have a decent sized tupperware that you could set up as a temperary tank?

15. Lollipopgecko

I have a big black tote that I put him in when I do water changes. Will that work?

16. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

yes. You can set up a sort of hospital tank in order to contain him and make it easier to catch his poop if you need to. Just place a small tupperware of water (just big enough for him to turn around and submerge himself) then have the rest of it be empty with some paper towels if you wish. Make sure to rig up a heat lamp though so he still has the correctt temps. then right before you go to put him in the tub feed him really really well. If the temps are right he should poop for you before you take him to the vets.

17. Lollipopgecko

Ok, I'll get the tote and try this. Thanks for all the help, you've helped me a lot in this whole parasite ordeal.

18. Lollipopgecko

Ok I put him in the tote here's a pic image.jpg

19. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Ok but he may need some sort of ramp in order to get into the water area. And are you monitoring the temps and have a heat lamp on him? Without the proper heat he cant digest which means no poop.

- - - Updated - - -

Or use a folded up towel to elevate the oneside so its level with the water tub.
    However if you can get him to poop in there than he could go back into his regular set up until the dr visit if you want him to.

20. Lollipopgecko

Yes, I did have a heat lamp on him and I kept it at about 90°. He did poop in the water, and he can get in and out easily.