This Disappears When Logged In

Monty's new fountain

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by BlackJack, Feb 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I just bought a desktop fountain and thought I'd see if I could raise the air humidity in Monty's terrarium with it. I didn't install the hallogen light that came with it, because the bulb gets too hot.
    I put it right underneath the CHE and it seems to keep the humidity over 50% ... I still spray by hand, but I don't have to do it as often. :)

I cleaned out the whole terrarium and took some pics: here they are:

Attached Files:

2. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

I had one of those in my frog tank, they work good at raising the humidity, but the frogs were able to squeeze inside of it so I had to remove it. Should be ok with a snake that size though..

3. BlackJack

Monty checking it out

Thanks Jay: I checked that and the holes are really too small for him to get stuck in: I had to make a hole in the screen of the terrarium to get the cable out, but I blocked that up with foam and tape.

Well, Monty's just too excited to sleep, so I took some more pics of him checking out the fountain.

Attached Files:

4. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

That's cool, he looks like he's really interested in it.

5. BlackJack

Yeah, but he keeps knocking the decorative stones off. :rolleyes:

6. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

After the first couple of times you have to clean it out, you'll stop putting the stones back anyway. That's what I did.

7. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

Monty is really cute.
    To keep the humidity high, I put a heatingpad under the waterdish,that works wonders! I think for the BP I will build a waterfall inside the tank-just saw that on a website;looked great and very natural.
    How big is Monty's terrarium? Does he have enough hidingplaces?
    I never seen a "see through" terrarium; usually they have a backwall-does Monty feel secure enough to be in the middle of all,or is he very shy because of the lack of back up wall? Would be very interesting to know,because I like the idea of a terrarium as a room devider.Does anybody else keep a terrarium as a roomdevider,and how are your experience with it?

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The question of whether or not to have a covering on the back wall is purely one of esthetics. As long as the snake has suitable hiding places it will be fine. Now other than if there are young children in the house that would constantly be running around the tank and raising a ruckus I think a room divider terrarium would be a wonderful idea.
    Besides the snake will be holed up most of the daytime anyway.

9. BlackJack

Monty has 3 places to hide away: a hide on the warm side, a hide on the cool side and a moist moss box on the warm side. The hideboxes at the moment are just rubber knee pads (like the ones bricklayer's use) Eventually he'll grow out of those, but I think that could take quite a few years.
    He doesn't seem bothered by the glass on all sides... sometimes it seems like he sits in his tree and watches TV with us!
    The dimensions are 120x60x60cm (approx 4'x2'x2').
    It makes a nice room divider but the glass terrariums do not hold humidity very well. In the future I will probably get something from here: http://www.terrariencenter.de or another one of the Kunstoff Terrariums from Profiterr.

10. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Looks great Andrea! And he really seems to love it! :) Just out of interest what is it keeping your humidity levels at? - I would be a little worried that the humidity might get too high? Really cool design.

Jacky, we find that sometimes one of our bearded dragons dislikes that she can see out of all sides of her glass tank - I'm not sure whether she doesn't feel secure enough or whether she just doesn't understand the concept of glass and thinks she can get out :D I just simply cover up the sides with paper or a backing sheet, but we have had snakes in all glass enclosures before without a problem - as Merlin said, as long as the snake has enough places to hide, and there isn't too much to disturb it, I wouldn't think there would be a problem. I've often thought about a tank as a room divider too, it would look pretty cool i think, although more difficult to clean :confused:

11. BlackJack

Hi Rachel, the all glass terrarium IS a lot of trouble to clean!! Especially if you have to use a spray bottle to mist: water spots EVERYWHERE!!

Just with the fountain/waterfall the humidity doesn't get over 40%. I have to spray by hand to raise it to 50-60% but it is a big help towards that level!
    I think in summer it might be too much, but I'll just move it to the cooler part of the terrarium... this winter it's been difficult to keep the humidity at the proper levels!!

Thanks for the compliments!

12. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

BlackJack,thanks for the website.
    I can't get over it how cute Monty is . He's becoming a real star on this site.Please keep posting those pics!!! I've become a real BP fan;spending hours on the web studying BPs.
    On the web you'll find lots of sites on how to build wooden or styrofoam terrariums-they are great to keep the heat and humidity inside!! I build myself a styrofoam terrarium and have only good experience with it. They are very popular in Switzerland and Germany;very cheap,and look great! And you can make them as big as you want,they are very srtong! If someone wants loads of terrariums,this is a way to save A LOT of money!!!

13. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

A question for you BlackJack,

Can you tell me how much you paid for Monty? Because I only found out that I paid way too much for my Sinaloan Milksnake : Fr.350.-(!!) For her age and size I should only have paid about Fr.190.-!! That's why I'm curious about the price of Monty,because Bahnhof Zoo Basel is VERY expensive!!They have now a baby Lampropeltis "Stripped" for Fr.450.-. I just don't get it why this petstore doesn't keep in touch with the prices of other stores.When I bought my snake I didn't know how much they normaly cost,but it seems most places sell them for much less!

14. BlackJack

Monty was rather inexpensive: We paid SFr. 199.00 for him. I think it really depends on where the pet store gets the snake (how much they have to pay for it, etc.) I have had discussions with the people at the Zoo Bahnhof because they were interested in buying baby BRBs off me if I breed mine someday. (We had to agree on a price for the babies.)
    It is difficult for them to get snakes at a good wholesale price: then they have to keep the snake in good health and pay the personnel to feed it and clean the enclosures until it sells. The older the snake gets before they sell it, the lower their profit margin becomes or the higher the price of the snake becomes. Monty was only 5 months old, so he was still relatively cheap. Probably they found a cheap breeder or someone who works there bred the BPs themselves.
    For your snake, they probably had to pay more for it from the breeder and/or they had to keep it for a long time before it sold.

15. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

Thanks BlackJack
    Yes indeed my snake was in that store for several month before I gave her a home!
    Thanks to you I see it in another light.
    Just found another BP breeder from Laufen BL who also got Albino BPs.If they weren't so expensive ( Around Fr.5000.-) I would put myself on the list for next year's babies.
    I'm going to see that breeder as well as the one in Zurich, and then decide from whom I buy two baby boys . Laufen will have eggs this month and Zurich in April.Can't wait.
    Give Monty my love.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.