This Disappears When Logged In

Monty's Enclosure

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by BlackJack, Aug 3, 2011.

1. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

It was time for a thorough cleaning of Monty's terrarium, so I decided to make some changes while I was at it.
    I put in a shelf on the warm side with a big fake fern for some cover, but still allowing the heat through from above. I have 2 heat panels: one on the ceiling and one on the back wall of the warm side. Dissolved coco humus brick substrate, a hide on the warm side that looks like a tree stump, a gnarly branch in the middle and a hide that looks like a rock on the cold side. Water dish that looks like rock too. Then a bunch of fake plants stuck in an upside down flower pot in the corner.

He's been scouting around for over 2 hours, checking out EVERY millimeter of space: I swear he's going to have a sore tongue tomorrow!! :-"

Here it is:
    397954897.jpg

Here's Monty checking out the upper level:
    397954896.jpg

He seems satisfied now: sitting halfway under the hide on the warm side. :)

Attached Files:

2. FervidBrutality

FervidBrutality Elite Member

Very clean and contemporary look. I quite like it. :) What are the enclosure dimensions? I've considered building something for my python.

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Looks wonderful Andrea, very cool looking tree trunk hot hide! Where did you find that? And what brand is it?

4. BlackJack

@ FervidBrutality: thanks the dimensions are 150cm x 70cm x 70cm (That's about 59" x 27.5" x 27.5" (5ft x 2.3ft x 2.3ft)
    Monty has plenty of space to stretch out and he uses the height too, but he's not a tree python and he falls a lot, so I wouldn't want anything higher for him.

@Michele: actually that was an INCREDIBLY expensive fruit bowl that I got at a special design store in San Diego. (I think I paid over $150 for it. Insane, I know, but it was REALLY perfect: it has an uneven rim that makes perfect "doors" on all sides!!)
    It really is some kind of hollowed out stump of wood (cherry maybe?):
    Here are close-up pics. As a hide box:
    397956552.jpg

As a fruit bowl:
    397956555.jpg

Attached Files:

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Gorgeous!

I've seen those types bowls around here, very nice pieces of art and very expensive too! I've always wanted one, but all I could afford at that time were the little vases :( I think that some are made from burls of a tree that gives them that odd shape and patterns
    I have also seen some made from olive wood at HomeSense, less expensive

Thanks

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Looks great. You sure do go all out for your reptiles.

7. BlackJack

Since their enclosures take up a huge part of my apartment, I want them to look as nice as possible. And if I have to keep an animal locked up, I want them to have as nice a living space as possible. I think they have a nice life. Every now and then Monty climbs the glass sliding doors, just begging to get out, so I let him roam the living room for an hour or so. (As long as I am around to keep an eye on where he goes.)
    He was doing that this morning, so I took the opportunity while he was out, to re-do his enclosure. He hung out behind the sofa for about 3 hours and then climbed over the top of the table and looked down into his terrarium to see what I had been up to.
    He seems less interested in getting out now that he has new things to explore inside. :)

8. BlackJack

Hey Monty decided to take a nap on his new shelf this afternoon! YAY (I wasn't sure if he'd ever use it or not.)

397994272.jpg

He seems to like it. :)

Attached Files: