This Disappears When Logged In

Monty Ate Tonight Woooo!!!

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by AjaMichelle, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

He has like hmmm is that a snack lol

2. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Small but very feisty! She bit me once, of course just about all my snakes have bitten me. The only one to leave a scar was a 4.5 foot boa with an.attitude!

3. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

This was a few weeks after he bit me
    PA160237.jpg
    PA160239.jpg

Attached Files:

4. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

Awesome bruising.

Worst bite I've ever taken was an emerald tree boa to the elbow. It bled everywhere. I wish I took pictures, but instead I just ran away crying and screaming (I was thirteen.) I still have the scars, though, but they are fading.

5. David McConley

COOOOOOOLLLLL! Look under the boa constrictor forums and look under David's bite pics. I still have the scars from that. For six weeks after that, I was still checking for teeth in my arm.

6. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Wow thats some bite! Only think to bite me so far was Nipper my pac man. For a lil guy i felt it lol thats why i now call him Nipper

7. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

It was SO epic! My bf had left the room to get the temp gun so we could check Monty's temps. I had him hooked and had moved his head away from me with my right hand, then bent down to give him a pat with my left and before I could even react he had latched onto my wrist. The strike was perfect and it took almost ten minutes to get him off. I have no idea why he bit me, I'm the only person he's ever bitten and he's about 20 years old. He looked terrified and was trying to get away from me but couldn't let go. We tried bending his tail, pressing his jaw release "button," I tried moving my wrist further into his mouth, and nothing worked. I wanted to try rubbing alcohol but my bf didn't want to leave me with him, despite the fact that he wasn't throwing coils. We finally had to slightly lift his upper jaw with the hook which allowed me to sort of roll my wrist out of his mouth. Blood was literally squirting out of my wrist with every heart beat and went everywhere. Monty was COVERED in it. Then this crazy thing started growing out of my wrist. I think it was a hematoma, it was bigger than a half-dollar. Then I elevated my wrist and it went away. :) I think he left a tooth in my wrist bone because I have this weird bony callous now that just stopped hurting like three weeks ago.

That emerald tree boa to the elbow seems painful :(

8. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

"Ouche" that must have hurt!

Yes, you must have a look at Davids bite pic thread:)

9. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

That's nuts! I wish I had taken pics immediately after!

It actually didn't hurt at all! Of course I was all doped up on adrenaline lol
    It definitely hurt later! I couldn't use my wrist for weeks.

10. BarelyBreathing

The emerald bite is something I hope to never experience again. It got into the muscle and I couldn't bend my elbow for about a month. It was scary as h*ll. I thought there was permanent damage, but I was (and still am) too afraid of needles to go get it checked out. I still have that pins and needles feeling from my elbow to my pinky when I move it a certain way. That was twelve years ago.

11. David McConley

Yeah ,I know all about adrenaline. I got bitten by Isis when I picked her up out of her cage. She was doing fine and all of a sudden, out of no where--BAM!!! She latched on to my wrist. She let go immediately after she realized I was not food. To put a nice spin on it...I "bled like a stuck hog"! My big male Ramses caught me the day of Thanksgiving in 2005. I had him for three days and was about to change his water. I stuck my hand in front of his face without announcing my presence and POW, again he let me go immediately. I have never been bitten by them again though. The boa. on the other hand is a bit skittish and tries to bite me a lot- not as often as my blood python though. Jaws tries to bite me EVERY time I go near her. The knot on your wrist was a hematoma. I had one on each side of my arm within minutes after the bite in those photos. ;)

12. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

That's crazy! Sounds like some nerve damage for sure!

13. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

That's what I thought it was! I went into the bathroom to let it bleed under the faucet and it started to swell really bad so I squatted and effectively elevated my wrist and it started to decrease immediately. I bled so much too! lol I didn't clean him up either so he was covered in my blood stains until his next shed. People would come over and see him and say, "Is Monty covered in blood?" and I would respond without thinking, "oh yeah, but it's mine, don't worry about it" then think, "hmmm that's not very reassuring" ha ha :) We were taking pics with him on New Year's Eve and I asked a friend if he wanted to hold him and he was like "No way, I heard he bites people." lol I always forget too, then I'm telling people like "he's not going to bite you, he's never bitten anyone...oh wait" with this like super obvious giant scar on my wrist.

I have NO clue why he bit me. I definitely made my presence known, and gave him a sec so as not to startle him. I had already lifted his body with the snake hook and he just whipped around like BAM! I guess he was in a mood or something. I told his last owner about it and he was like "what are you doing to Monty" lol

Just loving him too much apparently, and he's going to be a big snakey jerk about it ha ha

14. BarelyBreathing

I wouldn't be surprised. I've heard crazy stories about permanent nerve damage from emerald bites. Yuck. Sometimes I wonder why I keep those things.

15. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I bet you do! :) I wanted one for a long time and then I started researching them and they're not the snake for me. I've had numerous people tell me they're bitey and grumpy, really fragile, and particular about their enclosures, and kind of expensive lol :) I read that if they don't feel secure, and they're housed in an enclosure that's too tall (like they can't hold onto their sitting branch and extend to ground at the same time), they will literally dehydrate because they won't come down to drink water. That's nuts! and sounds like a lot of work lol

16. BarelyBreathing

I've never seen an emerald drink from the ground. They just don't do it. My three drink the water droplets from their environment after misting.

17. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Oh I see! Maybe that was from a source who didn't mist their snakes and expected them to hydrate on their own via the water bowl. Are they really fragile when you handle them? I mean, I know they're a display snake so you don't do a lot of handling, but are they really as delicate as I've heard?

18. BarelyBreathing

The problem with handling emerald tree boas is that they have a very weak connection between their skull and their spine, and they're aggressive. Two problems occur because of this. The first one being natural instinct. When a snake bites you, you pull away. You really have to train yourself not to do this before ever picking up an emerald because if you pull away, you can accidentally disconnect their spine. The second problem is that a lot of people grab aggressive snakes behind their heads... that can cause a spinal separation, too.

I have one emerald tree boa that is fairly handleable. She does have the tendancy to strike out of nowhere, though, but I've gotten pretty good at reading her.
    DSC_0336.jpg

Attached Files:

19. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Wow! She's beautiful! And that's scary! What a delicate snake. Definitely not for me lol ... I can barely hold onto my phone. :) Monty is more appropriate. I don't think he's breakable. Of course, I do have not pulling away down to a science... that's how Monty tagged me. My reaction once I realized that he bit me wasn't panic either. It was "come ON Monty!!! really?!"

20. BarelyBreathing

Yeah, that's more my reaction, too. Like, "Again? Come on now...." and then of course the eye roll.

I'm ridiculously clumsy when I don't have my mind to something. I've had to replace my smart phone three times now in the past few months because I keep dropping it at random times (riding a horse, on the deck of a third story, forgetting I was holding it while waving my hands in anger). I walk in to walls. I've walked into a cactus. Doors, glass door especially. I fall UP stairs...