This Disappears When Logged In

Monty Ate Tonight Woooo!!!

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by AjaMichelle, Jan 6, 2012.

1. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

So we fed Monty (15' burm who refused his last 3 meals) tonight and he ate!

I took him out yesterday to clean up some urates and realized I hadn't checked his temps in a while and his basking spot was 85 degrees F. Okay for winter, but under what he needs to digest properly. So we bumped his basking spot up to 95*F, and made sure to check it before feeding tonight. We used the awesome new tongs I got to put the food in his enclosure. He didn't even realize it was in there until it was dangled in front of his face. Not to anthropomorphize but he was like, "wha wha whaaaat?!" and struck, and nailed it. He even realized he was eating it feet first and stopped then used his face to turn it around. So I guess he's a little smarter than I thought previously.

I fed him a large rat first and we're about to feed a guinea pig. I know, you're thinking "a large rat?! that's too small" and you're right, but I'm using the rats to scent the pigs because he's only ever been fed rats and rabbits. I also found out from owner 02 (I'm owner 03) that owner 01 used to feed him TWO 20lb rabbits a month. I can't imagine.

Also, the tongs I got for Christmas are Gentle Giant Super Tongs from Midwest Tongs and they have solved almost every issue I had with handling and feeding. They are the best!

So... let's see if he eats the pig. He's very very obviously in "feeding mode" so I think he will. :D

2. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Yay! Eat up big boy!

3. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

And he totally did! This was the easiest feeding yet. :)

He ate the guinea pig in about fifteen minutes and currently looks like he's begging for more food lol... I'll feed again in about ten days.

He hasn't eaten since October 20th!

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Glad to hear that Monty ate for you!
    Sounds like awesome tongs, sounds like they are long!

5. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

They are! They're 40 inches :)
    I wish we had gotten them like 3 months ago.

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Oh my, 40 inches, thats probably as big as they get :eek:

7. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Those as some BIG tongs lol

8. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

These are actually small (short) compared to the others. You can get them as long as 72 inches I think. :)

9. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Congrats on the feeding!! See I told you things would work themselves out :) Heck you did it with time to spare. 2.5 months is nothing for a large Burm. Hope things keep going well for you!

10. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

Awesome news!

11. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Here are some pics of him trying to escape after eating!

He just finished shedding about a week ago too! :)

P1050524.jpg
    P1050523.jpg
    P1050522.jpg

Attached Files:

12. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

He is beautiful!!!!!

13. justor

justor Elite Member

Congrats on the successful feed! Monty looks great by the way.​

Now what I want to know is what one would use a six foot pair of tongs for. :confused:

14. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I think they're intended for use with large venomous snakes :)

15. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

That is one bright burm!

16. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Woooo hoooo!!!! Glad to hear he is doing better. They just like to give your insides a bit of a jostle every once in a while. He is a beautiful looking guy, he and my little Isis would go well together- both being albinos and all. I know you feel a lot more comfortable now, but as was said in an.earlier post 2.5 months is not bad, for a normal well fed snake. Where you are trying to bulk him up a bit from him being so thin before, it is a bit un nerving. Glad he came through for you and vice versa!

17. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

He's all bright and shiny :)

18. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

How big is Isis? :)
    I am so happy he ate! I knew he'd be okay, but like you said, I want him to gain weight.

19. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

About 8.5 feet and around 35 pounds or so. She bites really well too! Great tooth pattern on her!

20. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Cool so she's "small" still lol :)
    Ha ha I have a scar on my wrist from when Monty bit me.