This Disappears When Logged In

Monthly Food Bill?

Discussion in 'General' started by jshrad, Jan 29, 2005.

?

Monthly Food Bill

1. $1-$10

18 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. $11-$20

22 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. $21-$50

25 vote(s)
    25.3%
  4. $51-$100

15 vote(s)
    15.2%
  5. $101+

19 vote(s)
    19.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esbat

esbat Reptile Rescue Premium Member

My food bill is around $300 a month for feeder insects and salad ingredients. I get mice donated :)

2. iturnrocks

iturnrocks Elite Member

My monthly food bill is about $15. That covers about 4 mice, assorted fish and turtle pellets.

3. venus

venus Founding Member

I have to agree with Merlin...but I would have to double it to include my 13 yr old son who eats like a horse :p

4. Allecto

Allecto Elite Member

$101+ here. I feed mainly rats and mice. There's also some turtle food and other stuff factored in there, too, though.

Don't even ask what the grand total is for ALL my pets' monthly food bill. :rolleyes:

5. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Sally eats 30 crix a day, jack eats 20 crix and about 20 mealies, shock eats about 5 crix and 3 mealies...about once every 2 week they each get 2 fish,once a week they also get some fruits/veggies...so im in the $21 to $50

6. tink

tink Elite Member

I buy 1,000 cickets every other week. Each box costing $18. And then I buy worms every week or so to add variety. So around $5 maybe. So a month probably around 5$50. That's just for food for the herps.

7. allie&shadwell

allie&shadwell Elite Member

I never thought about growing my own veggies, but considering that our growing season here is June-October and I don't have a green thumb, I doubt it would take me far.
    I buy a container of Field Greens salad mix once every 10 days at $5.99 Canadian a shot, and pick out all the spinach [Uros can't have spinach], buy a head of radicchio every 2 weeks at $2.99 a head [Shadwell's favorite], and he needs 2 crickets every 2 weeks at 21 cents per 2 [tax included]. So that's what? Actually had to use a calculator for this. $24.37 a month. Oh - I forgot - one small bag of Green Giant sweet peas a month, so let's make that $27.37 a month, but remember, that's Canadian dollars, so take away about 15% of that if you live in the States.

8. actionplant

actionplant Elite Member

My food bill is easily over $150 a month, during the summer when everyone is off breeding season and really eating it's far closer to $200.

Of course, it helps that most of my carnivors are eating F/T, I have a few stubborn critters still insisting on live and they're costing me quite a bit more, but being able to order from RodentPro saves me a lot, getting local rabbits from a trusted source (giving a burm a rabbit every two weeks for the same price as two or three live rats is awesome) helps keep costs down.

We're now going through a LOT of crickets every month, I'm going to have to start ordering those in bulk to help curb costs again.

People should calculate energy costs too...figuring all heat and light sources I'm using a little over 1KW per hour, and that's just on the animals. At $.06/KWh, that's around another $44/month in energy...and I'm conserving everywhere I possibly can! It's going to be worse during the winter; in the summer months I could just open windows by day and run UV only, but now that we're heading into colder months (windchill this morning was -9 F) the heat is on day and night.

9. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

Ok, my husband say the "pets" cost more to feed than the kids. But I don't think he ever totaled up the food bill for three boys (21, 14, & 12). Like Marsha they eat like a horse. Pets cost between $21-50 a month to feed.

10. Herpewanabe

Herpewanabe Elite Member

Im getting a gecko and only 1 or 2 for now so My food costs are going to be low. Now the people that have 4 snakes 5 geckos 3 lizards and 2 frogs are going to be well over a 100 dollars. My costs now are just my 3 fishtanks(live mys shrimp and blood worms) so Im assuming geckos will only cost 10-50dollars a month.

11. Brittone05

Brittone05 Elite Member

It costs me about £15 a week so that works out at....ummmmm lol about $120 a month??????

that is with all of the little dudes live foods and greens but doesn't include the supplements :)

12. kremlinator

kremlinator Banned User

Depends on babies, if they are around it's upwards of 1 dollar per day per baby. Ugh.

13. allie&shadwell

allie&shadwell Elite Member

If we are looking at a four week month, then it costs me $12.28 cents Canadian to feed Shadwell [Niger Orange Uromastyx]. $12.02 cents of that is vegetables, and 26 cents of that is the 4 crickets a month he gets. He's hardly an expense! :)

14. WOW! I think most of you have it made! I spend $100 in crickets every second week and sometimes $40 in the in between weeks. That will go up now that we have started breeding this season and will have 12 laying cresties (already got almost 20 eggs cookin). Now for the cresteds I make a fruit and yogurt smoothy as well that costs me another $45 a month! Then the waterdragons get crickets, super worms ($25 a month), and pinkie mice ($20 a month). Darn no wonder I'm always broke!

Almost forgot to mention, I also go in with another breeder that is a little bigger than we are so we get a stoopidly low price on everything. I'm figuring that we save over 50% from normal retail and web orders!

15. ChadHorne

ChadHorne Member

I currently have 27 Boas and 2 Ball pythons.........my food bill is very close to $260 a month. Hopefully soon I will be able to breed my own food and save some money.

16. jmherp

jmherp Elite Member

We breed most of our bugs ourselves, so all we are stuck with the bill for is greens/veggies & pellets for the babies...

17. actionplant

actionplant Elite Member

Mine keeps going up. I don't remember what I posted previously (or even if I did at all) but we're well over $200 now, and we're not even breeders or anything. KA-RRRRAZY.

18. prismwolf

prismwolf Well Established Member

I spend $160 a month just on greens. That's only for the lizards. If I figure on the rest of the beastie's food...hmmm...ferret food, dog food, cat food, parrot food...easily up to $250.

19. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

at 3.50 a med rat for Ajaxx and then 1.80 per mouse depending on the size i may have to get two a week for Loretta $21.20-$28.40 a month plus tax aint too bad but if i could get Ajaxx to eat frozen's it would be a lot cheaper

20. BRIZZY

BRIZZY Banned User

I spend 16.99 on 1000 crickets every other week. I spend 48.49 on frozen fuzzies for like a month. I also buy 2 small mice or baby rats every friday! I have 2 stubborn snakes who won't eat frozen anything. I also have to buy live pinkies every3-5 days for my baby kenyans! Red & kitty!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.