This Disappears When Logged In

Monitor Stool

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by SavyBeard, Jun 8, 2014.

1. SavyBeard

SavyBeard Member

Alright, so this may not be a subject many want to discuss or even think about but it is important non-the-less. My Savannah Monitor, who I have had for Three days now, had his first big poop. I inspected it to make sure all was well and at first it seemed okay until I saw a few things that set me on edge.
    1. Right now I have Kilo eating crickets and occasionally a mealworm but he never really goes for those. Well, in his stool were several crickets heads that were not digested. I mean like, full heads just chillin' there.
    2. There were tons of tiny rice looking things. They were very short, probably about as long as this --- and were almost completely see through. I mean there were TONS. I've looked up tapeworms and other types of bacterial infections and They were not like the pictures I saw. I thought maybe they were parts of the crickets he was eating but upon examining a dead cricket I couldn't figure out if that's really what it's from unless it's like.. cricket ribs?? I dunno :/
    3. The smell was just AWFUL.
    He is housed right now on moist eco-earth mixed with sand, his hot side is high 90's, with a basking spot of at least 115-125. the cool side has an average of 88 degrees sometimes a tad higher. He spends a lot of time in the water, as we have a large dish for him to swim in so I'm not sure if that has any effect, his water gets changed every day. The humidity is hard for me to get to where it needs to be and is usually between 20 and 40%, but is slowly improving as I make the changes I am.
    I have had him for three days, and he is roughly 9-10 inches, I'm guessing he is probably about 2 months old, maybe three? The tank is a 40G until he gets bigger.
    -----edited----
    I have a bearded dragon that I've had for about 4 months now (he's around 6 months old but kind of small for his age, at a whopping 11") he eats crickets and mealworms but he is housed on reptile carpet, and his stool looks totally normal, with nothing in it except the occasional tiny piece of fake plant he managed to chew off.

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Provide pics of your setup.
    Does he use the basking area? Improperly digested food can result from him not getting hot enough.
    It's one thing to have temps all setup where they should be (basking area could be higher) but if he is not comfortable or too stressed to bask then it's not suitable.
    Monitors want to feel secure first and foremost. If they feel threatened they want to make sure they will survive before they worry about a properly digested meal.

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Ok, since you said 40g, I'm going to assume screen top. Cover that with tinfoil everywhere except where the lights go through, and the humidity should come up nicely. Temps might too. Cover the back and both ends with brown paper or cardboard or something, this will add privacy. I would also recommend raising the basking temp to 130 or so, use some bricks or something to elevate the basking site rather than increasing bulb wattage. Add cover around the basking area so it can be there without being seen if it wants. Cheap dollar store fake plants work well for this.