This Disappears When Logged In

Monitor Spots

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Ben molter, Dec 3, 2015.

1. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

2. Ben molter

Ben molter Member

The
    Wattage is 80 and yes it's the only heat source

The Wattage is 80. I will be buying a hygrometer this morning! I will not feed my lizard until the tank is how you have specified. Thankyou again.

Hi I have bought the temperature and hygrometer. The humidity is 80% but even with two heat bulbs the temp is only getting to 80f however the Lizard appears instantly more lively and happy! How can I get it hotter? I have good quality bulbs

The humidity is 80% but with two bulbs (good quality) I can only get the temp to 80f the Lizard seems instantly happier though has eaten and gone to the toilet. Here is a picture of the viv DSC_0010.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2015
  3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Is the hygrometer digital, does it have probes and what type of heat bulbs are you using, also, what`s the surface temp at the basking site and can you show a photo of the whole top of the enclosure?
    I would also like to know what it`s constructed out of, especially the bottom?
    Edit: If the monitor`s eating you need to get a fresh faecal sample to determine whether the lumps are caused by parasites. If you get one keep it in the fridge but not in the freezer, it should be o.k for a couple of days (best in a small plastic container making sure that`s clean of course).

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The most efficient basking bulbs are the relatively low wattage halogens (must be flood beam and fitted with a ceramic holder) @ between 40 to 80w.
    This is my 5 year old young adult male`s basking site, I need more bulbs because of his size, the idea being that they evenly heat at least the SV (snout to vent) length..
    They are quite cheap to buy, can be dimmed which makes adjusting the surface temp much easier (or obviously you can raise/lower the bulbs or basking object). I use either par 30 or par 38 (the "par" refers to the bulb face diameter). You can get them on eBay/elsewhere.

mxcp020_zps63a7c6b5.jpg
    mxcp002_zps650057b6.jpg

mxcp004_zps2878be6f.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  5. Ben molter

Ben molter Member

shopping.jpg

This is the bulb I'm using (80w)

The viv is made of plywood waterproofed with pva and then covered in vinyl floor tiles. The hygrometer is digital DSC_0008.JPG DSC_0008.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2015
  6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for photo, the Arcadia MVB`s are quite efficient in terms of UVB emission and heat, but they must be a certain distance from the surface of the bulb to the closest surface of the animal when basking under it (30cm), if the basking object is the (branch?) how far off is it, and what`s the second bulb?
    I think I can see a water container, any water used for bathing must be heated to between 27 to 32c.

7. Ben molter

Ben molter Member

I'd say 20-25 cm and the other bulb is just a heat bulb I added to boost the temperature up

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

It (the mercury vapour bulb) absolutely MUST be at least 30cm from the bulb face to the closest surface of the animal, otherwise it WILL cause a serious burn.
    You haven`t said what the basking surface temp is or what the basking object is?
    Depending on the usual temps in the room (what are they both day and night?) you may need to add supplementary heating such as an infrared bulb or ceramic heat emitter to raise the ambient (air) temps. Once you can maintain an ambient temp of approx. 24c you only need to get the basking surface temp within range.

9. Ben molter

Ben molter Member

Hi
    Just wanted to say thanks for all the advise! I had the Lizard checked out and the lumps were boils which should go by them self's in time. The lizard is a lot happier now and getting on great feedingvand pooping regularly. Thanks again

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You`re most welcome to the advise, please keep us all updated on the progress (including more photos)! ;)