This Disappears When Logged In

Monitor Spots

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Ben molter, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Ben molter

Ben molter Member

Can anyone tell me what these spots are on my Asian water monitor?
    DSC_0047_1.JPG

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, not easy to tell, it may be an infection, can you show the whole enclosure and give details of the conditions you keep the animal in (it may help). Thanks!

3. Ben molter

Ben molter Member

FB_IMG_1447510047583.jpg

4. Ben molter

Ben molter Member

This is the only picture I have. However there is now bark where the newspaper is! The bulb is heat/uv and hot and cold sides of a six foot by three and a half vivarium. The Lizard actually had the spots when I brought it home. It was a replacement for my first which sadly died? From stress according to the pet shop owner. The lizard that died had no such spots. The monitor in question doesn't appear bothered by it?

Thanks

5. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

They looked like spine deformities until I saw the third lump on the far left.
    Parasites under the skin?

murrindindi likes this.
  6. Ben molter

Ben molter Member

Ok thanks can I get an ointment or anything for it?

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What are the temperatures and humidity levels. And how are they being measured.

8. Ben molter

Ben molter Member

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I would seriously consider finding a better place to buy animals from if that`s the advise they offer their customers.
    The monitor`s life depends on a specific range of temps, humidity, diet, substrate, etc, etc. I`ll go through the basics but I need to know what the temps and humidity are right now and how you measure them?
    You cannot use an ointment or anything else until you find out what the lumps are (via a vet).

10. Ben molter

Ben molter Member

Ok thankyou! I have had nothing but an endless bad experience from the dealer. The first being my first lizard died within four days! But was replaced which is the Lizard in question which arrived with the spots? I paid for 100 pinkies, substrate and the bulb in full out of good faith and I had to wait two weeks for the Bulb to arrive!(in which I discovered they bought it from a local pet shop!) and one month later I'm still waiting for my pinkies? Having being given the bull poop excuse they were ordered from Belgium and it's taking some Time? From your experience what can I do? As I am genuinely a reptile lover! And want to give it the best life possible

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I feel for the monitor (and you too), it`s not healthy even if the condition isn`t serious. You are entitled to a healthy specimen, and this animal is entitled to live a long and healthy life, so how far are you willing to go to help it (vets are expensive)?
    I would be tempted to get a full refund and shop elsewhere (I can advise a reliable source).

Edit: Pinky mice are not very nutritious, very little protein and the skeleton hasn`t formed, fuzzies are much better, if too big to swallow whole you can cut them up while still frozen (then obviously defrost before feeding)..

Ben molter likes this.
  12. Ben molter

Ben molter Member

Ok I will do this. Thankyou very much

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I take it you mean you`ll try for a refund, if yes and you do, here`s a better option if you want to buy elsewhere...
    www.reptilesplus.co.uk

14. Ben molter

Ben molter Member

No I'm afraid I won't get a refund, especially after they replaced the one which died. Apparently by law there is no guarantee on a reptile once it has left the store? I have increased the humidity in the viv and will keep an eye on the Lizard as currently it is very lively and doesn't appear distressed. On Monday I am due to show it to the man (Pete Blake) whom sold me it and maybe he can help.

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree. Sounds like the shop is bogus. I would return for a refund. If you are going to do this you might as well start out with a healthy animal.

With reptiles you have to have quality digital thermometer and humidity gauges. You have to know the exact temperature and humidty level. The little analog gauges most shops sell are worthless.
    Over here USA you can find them in garden stores/departments

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

They replaced the one that died with one that had a health problem at the time it was sold, they should be obliged to offer you a refund or replacement by law, you were in effect sold "faulty goods".
    Edit: Do you have a decent digital hygrometer to measure the ambient temps and humidity range, and a digital temp-gun for the basking surface temp?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  17. Ben molter

Ben molter Member

18. Ben molter

Ben molter Member

I cannot prove this though. And no I have neither? But will get them! Again I believe I've been badly advised

19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I found a review of the "petshop" but for some reason ridiculous yahoo.com won`t allow me to link to it, but it seems you`re not the only very unsatisfied customer.
    I personally would threaten Peter Blake with legal action if he refuses to give you a full refund, also report him to the RSPCA, perhaps they`ll inspect the premises, in the above review others mentioned badly kept animals/conditions in the shop.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  20. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`m living in the U.K so I know its too late to get anything tonight, but if the monitor is to have a chance of surviving you need the digital hygrometer and Temp-gun on Saturday (5th December).
    You basically need to know two temps; the lowest ambient (air) @ approx. 24c (75f), then the SURFACE temp on the basking object @ between approx. 50 to 60c (120 to 140f).
    The humidity needs to range between approx. 60 to 90% (the lower figure will be around the basking area).
    Until you get those conditions in place I don`t recommend feeding the animal at all (it won`t be able to digest the food), though clean drinking water must be available.
    What brand and wattage is the basking bulb, and is it the only heat source?