This Disappears When Logged In

Monitor Questions

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by bradyloach, Sep 20, 2012.

1. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

Hey guys! I just want to ask a few questions on how I can make my Savannah monitors enclosure better. It an 8x4x4ft and has 2 feet of soil/sand everywere! but i want it to be better for her. As of now she is on a diet of crickets/worms/ a fuzzy every now and then. so my questions are

• How can i make it more entertaining for her?
    • Will leaf litter add more exictment?
    • What can i add to the enclosure/substrate to "exercise her mind" and keep her really really busy

Any tips are greatly appreciated!!! And if anyone has an idea to make it look more like a jungle or savannah let me know!!!

2. SSThorn

SSThorn Elite Member

My Ornatus enclosure has some palm fronds from outside stapled throughout parts of the enclosure. They are good for hiding, He likes to check them out and climb on them.

Leaves will help your humidity, Not exactly sure about mental stimulation.

I would introduce some bugs to the enclosure, Something she can hunt on random day by day basis. If she sees it move, she might start following it. It will give her exercise, stimulation and food!
    You can also put more logs, branches, and other things for her to climb on, under and explore.

Just Ideas! :)

3. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

Log Brady... add a log or two.

Mix it up, some brush limbs for a day or two..

4. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I went and got some dead fall branches today :) Those will be fun! I left the log that was full of ants though... didnt want those in my minivan/house lol

5. Rudiman

Rudiman Elite Member

I move stuff around about monthly. They spend a few days figuring everything out.

Scott

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Throw in a bucket of superworms.
    They are great for eating waste and the movement could intrigue him to dig them up.

7. MDFMONITOR

MDFMONITOR Elite Member

keep giving them something to chase down, different types of insects & bugs require slightly different techniques to catch & eat, logs that they can dig under, basically what everyone else has said!

8. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

I think the leaf litter is an excellent idea! It allows all the little bugs to hide and makes foraging for them that much more work. Let's face it, there is a shortage of things to do in an enclosure anyway.
    My water bowls are slightly difficult for my rudi's to get out of, nothing they could drown in, just sides are sloped they slide towards the center. They will have to attempt to reach the top ledge of the water bowl 2 or 3 times before they grab on before they slide back.

9. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

all very great ideas!!!! my sav goes from one side to the other like 80 times in an hour just exploring haha