This Disappears When Logged In

Monitor Not Going To Bathroom In Enclosure

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by freemason81, May 7, 2017.

1. freemason81

freemason81 Established Member

i have a 3 year old savannah monitor. He doesn't go to the bathroom in his enclosure. He will hold for week plus until I take him out and he poops on the floor. Is this normal, is it a behavioral issue. He is 3.5 ft long, eats dubias roaches every other day, small rat once a week, once in awhile when I'm cutting up chicken breast , I'll give him some trimmings. His enclosure is 8 ft long 3 ft wide and 4 ft tall. He has a hide on his cool side 84/85 degrees. Then in his hot side I have a 6 ft congergtated pipe underneath the dirt for additional hide plus adds demention to his enclosure . Hot side is 90 and his basking area is at 130 degrees. I have a heat panel with a thermastat on cool end and uvb bulb in the middle, another heat panel on the hot end without a thermastat . Basking light are 2 halogen flood lights.

Attached Files:

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I don`t have much time because it`s late over here (U.K) but your "cool" side is too warm, it only needs to be around 24c (75f) and I don`t quite understand why there is only a 5f difference between "warm" end and "cool"?
    Why are you using two heat panels and only two halogen basking bulbs, the latter will possibly not heat his body evenly, it might be better to add a 3rd halogen and lose one of the heat panels, what wattage are the bulbs?
    The enclosure looks o.k except there is too much unusable space above ground.
    I think the monitor is a little overweight judging by the photos (or maybe it`s just the angle, can you take a few more)?
    I`ll be back online later on monday.....

3. freemason81

Ok I lowered the temp on the cool end . The flood lights are 60 watt. The reason I bought a second heat panel for the hot end is because the temp wasn't higher enough with the basking area alone , it got to low to mid 80s. I use a laser temp gun to measure my temps. When he was smaller and when he was in a 120 gallon tank he use to go in his water and poop almost daily. Now he doesn't . He will literally hold his crap for a long time up to 2 weeks Then When I take him out to roam , explosion of crap on the floor.

4. freemason81

And his water dish is a cat litter pan . He drinks out of it, that's it

5. Jsilverback64

Jsilverback64 Established Member

I have a beardie that does the same. She will hold it for a long time. Days and then go on the carpet. I think they just don't want it in thier area. Can't blame them. Fix whatever issues some of these people say and then I doubt it will change that. But it'll always be better for the lizard.

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

It's great that his plumbing is working.
    Have you tried to let him out every two days and see if the same thing happens?

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Can you take a photo of the basking bulbs in situ, also how are you measuring the ambient temps and humidity range?
    The only two temps to worry about are the lowest ambient in the coolest parts (including beneath the substrate where the animal may burrow) and then the surface temp at the basking site @ between approx 50 to 60c (120 to 140f).
    If this were a female then you would need to ensure the substrate was heated to a fairly narrow range from the bottom to the surface @ between approx 24 to 30c (75f to 86f)....
    Apart from the animal defaecating outside the enclosure because it`s possibly become a habit, I think there is little opportunity for the monitor to get much excercise inside the enclosure because there is so much unusable space, I would advise fixing some stout branches/logs.
    Defaecating in the water container is not necessarily a bad thing unless the animal spends time soaking for extended periods which would indicate it`s probably dehydrated (I know you haven`t said he does that).
    I do think the monitor is somewhat overweight, you should only feed them as much energy as they are using, especially as they reach adulthood when growth has slowed/stopped and bearing in mind that in captivity they get precious little excercise compared to their wild counterparts.
    All of the monitors I`ve owned have all defaecated very regularly, it is definitely not normal for a healthy animal that`s been eating regularly not to excrete waste for an extended period?

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  8. freemason81

I use a laser temp gun to measure the temps . I currently do have hydromy to measure the moisture. I usually once a week dump water evenly thru the enclosure, the. Spray when the ground looks dry. I tried putting large logs and such for him to climb or something(I would say since he got 2+ ft he stopped climbing) He usually does some walking in the morning then Just lays there. I peered the cooler end like you recommended. It's just all the resaerch I have done the cooler end temps change site to site. And the flood light are just basic GE halogen flood lights I bought at Home Depot. I try to get him out as much as I can but with my work schedule some times it's doe st happen as much I would like. That's what worries me because he will hold his poop a long time until I take him out.

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Is the hygrometer analogue or digital?
    I`m not sure which other sites or caresheets you`ve visited/read but if the lowest ambient temp is around 24c (75f) it`s perfectly fine (that`s both during the day and night).
    Are the halogen bulbs par 30 or par 38 and can you take a photo of them as they are fixed above the basking site, also a few more shots of the monitor?
    Again, it is not normal for them not to defaecate regularly if they are in good health and eating regularly, can you give details of the amount of food you offer each day/week?
    Edit: Looking at the photos you put up previously the reflection on the flat rocks seems quite small (in other words the area the bulbs are heating does not look large enough to heat at least his snout to vent length)?
    I also notice the UVB bulb/tube is away from the basking area, it`s best to have it close to the basking bulbs so the monitor gets the heat and UVB at the same time.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  10. freemason81

I don't have. Hydrometer, I have a laser temp gun. The flood light are on a dual deep dome fixture. I usually feed him about 12-15 dubias every other day. I feed him a small frozen rat once a week typically on a wendsday.

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You cannot measure the ambient (air) temps with the Temp-gun so where are you getting the numbers you stated @ 84/85f?
    If you don`t have a hygrometer how are you measuring the humidity range?

12. freemason81

There is a probe that is hooked up to the thermastat that monitors the heat panel

13. dp428

dp428 Established Member

So my monitor does the same thing but if he hasn't been taken out for a day or two he will just go in his cat liter box, which I use as a soaking dish/bath. My biggest recommendation would be to give him more exercise cause that helps the digestive tract. Also do what they other guys are saying too about the husbandry and temps. Exercise is one of the keys for these guys iv noticed, they react to your schedule if you have a good bond with them. but it is a habit that has probably been instilled on the lizard. They seem a little bit more scavengers so they walk a lot throughout the day in the wild. this is what I have read on them in the wild but very little knowledge about wild ones are out there. Especially in a non research paper format....so damn boring. Also never under estimate taking him out for a walk and giving him some real vitamin D there is nothing better for them

14. freemason81

If I can't take him out everyday , what do you guys recommend that I can put in his enclosure to keep him active? I lowered the cool end temp , when he was younger reguardless of how many times a taken him out he always crap the day after he ate. I remember cleaned out his tub daily. It seemed since he was moved in his larger enclosure 8 months ago is when this behavior started .