This Disappears When Logged In

Monitor Enclosure

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Jennyfer, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Jennyfer

Jennyfer Active Member

Started the build yesterday.. should be done by next week. Very large... This is just the bottom...

Attached Files:

2. Thor

Thor Elite Member

Looks good, how big is it?

3. Jennyfer

Jennyfer Active Member

interior is 8'x4'x5'

4. Thor

Thor Elite Member

Cool! I built a big one for my iggy. I love seeing other people's custom enclosure to see other really cool ideas!:)

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, it`s looking good so far. Did you started a thread on an English forum a few weeks ago about your monitor and the new build?

6. Jennyfer

Jennyfer Active Member

nope. iI don't think so.. ha ha just started the build on Saturday.. iI was gonna start like a mother ago, but ran into financial issues.

7. jamesw

jamesw Elite Member

What is it lined with and what kind of monitor is it for?

8. Jennyfer

Jennyfer Active Member

are you talking about captive bred forum

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Yes I am!

10. Jennyfer

Jennyfer Active Member

it is for a savannahs monitor. it is lined with a hard plastic lining used in showers... not sure exactly what it is called.

11. Jennyfer

Jennyfer Active Member

ok yes that was me then.. couldn't start then. like I said I ran into financial issues

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  12. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

You may want to put some supports towards the middle. The weight of all the dirt probably wont break it but you're better safe than sorry, right?

P5310122.jpg
    P6010124.jpg
    P6010123.jpg

That's the way I had seen most done when I started mine and it made perfect sense if you expect to put 2 feet of dirt in which literally weighs more than a ton.

Attached Files:

13. Jennyfer

Jennyfer Active Member

Just finished first layer of paint on the bottom half.. had to Dang the.whole thing first... Whoooo

14. Vers

Vers Elite Member

I agree--the enclosure should have more structural framing, not just in the center but all around. Other than that it looks very clean so far.

15. Jennyfer

Jennyfer Active Member

Thats "sand" not "dang" lol

16. Jennyfer

Jennyfer Active Member

Here's a pic of the lower half.. I used 3/4 inch plywood.. It's stable.. I even stood in it and jumped around.. It's definitely pretty solid

Attached Files:

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

But it isn't so much about the floor but the sidewalls themselves. Did you sit with your back to the center of one wall and try to push the other wall out with your feet?
    Consider that you do not have the weight equivalent of a thousand pound of soil pushing on the sides. I would strongly suggest reinforcing it.

18. Jennyfer

Jennyfer Active Member

Ok ill talk to my person who designed it... I brought up this issue and I'm just going with what I was told. Thank you for the input. I'll see what I can do

19. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It will be much easier to reinfgorce it now instead of later trying to salvage a cage that the sides got knocked out of. People who just build misc things often do not consider the stresses that they will be under with the way that we are going to use them.

20. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Unless there is some type of hidden steel bracing somewhere I can tell you that you will be taking a huge gamble keeping the enclosure bottom as it is. As merlin said there is going to be a tremendous amount of outward pressure that the walls will be subjected to. It might be ok at first, but when the soil settles and compacts it will create more stress, which will most likely compromise the structure. Although I've always said you can get away with well placed light framing (1x4 or 2x3 stock) most people tend to use 2x4 framing, as pictured above, just in case. Either way would be superior to the current design. I just don't see any reason to risk the entire enclosure over ~$30-40 worth of materials and a bit of extra time.