This Disappears When Logged In

Monitor Bite

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Stacy Wagstaff, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Hi all,

I just got bitten on my index by my monitor lizard. Am lucky she dropped my finger after a couple of seconds. I immediately put peroxide and bactrian on it and its no longer bleeding. Should i immediately start taking antibiotics? Im lucky to not need stitches. Ouch!

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, you can always ask your doctor whether antibiotics are necessary. What species do you have and how big is it?

3. Hi! Thanks for the reply! I have been messaging with you earlier regarding the same Philippines Monitor Lizard. The lizard that bit me is the same old lady that i have been trying to nurse back to health. She is slowly getting strength back in her hind legs. Unable to use them effectively yet. I take her swimming each day and she seems to enjoy it. She is blind and still very underweight... but am noticing her put on weight each time i pick her up.
    I would say she's about 1.2metres long.
    My finger is fine. I was feeding her chicken and she caught my finger as she snapped.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, I thought the monitor had died, nice to hear it hasn`t (good to know your finger survived, too)!
    On a serious note, did you have any symptoms from the bite (excessive bleeding, any swelling, etc) as it`s known they have venom?
    When you say feeding chicken do you mean lean meat, if yes that`s of little benefit (whole prey only). Are you sure the monitor is (totally?) blind and can you get a couple of photos of the animal as it is right now?

5. Apologies this took some time - as have been in Vietnam. She (i think) still doesn't move a whole lot, but her legs seem to be getting a little stronger as she lifts her hips a little when she walks. I don't think she has a whole bunch of teeth. We have been feeding her rats. This morning i noticed something had been chewing on her toe - which is a little annoying.

Attached Files:

6. One of the eyes seems to be normal yet the other has a white pupil. The tail has somewhat healed, but its like dead meat. They seem to be pretty hardy around here. We have a lot of them on the island. One has no tail and another missing a front foot.