This Disappears When Logged In

Moldy Coconut

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by puzzlebean, Jan 28, 2011.

1. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

I got this about a week ago:
    CIMG0209.jpg
    for Jigsaw's cage and soaked it in water to help with the humidity. It worked really well and kept the humidity steadily between 20 and 40% if I spritzed it every day. Today when I went to change the water I noticed it had mold on it! Obviously I took it out and tossed it.

Does anyone know if the sphagnum moss will mold as well? His moist hide is moss and I am wondering how often I need to change it instead of just spritzing it.

Attached Files:

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Sphagum moss will not mold. It actually contains a natural fungicide and at one time was used to bind wounds.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I have had a few wood cage fixtures mold up occasionally. I have a lot of luck giving them a quick scrub with dilute bleach, and baking them to kill the spores. It doesn't seem to come back after that.

I have seen a lot less mold on my Sphagnum moss than I have on any other substrate I have used, though.

4. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

Fun fact! Thanks, Merlin.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yeah, my head is just chocked full of what is (normally) totally useless trivia!;)

6. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

A virtual storehouse of useless,,(scratch that) useful information, that at different times carries it's own value pertaining to the particular subject at hand.

7. Komododragon12

Komododragon12 Elite Member

I have had a cork hut that molded. Should of seen it coming though, it was sitting in a fire belly toad tank with tons of humidity!!! = )>