This Disappears When Logged In

Mixing a Columbian an Brazilian Pros an Cons???

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by 09msstang, Mar 23, 2012.

1. 09msstang

09msstang Elite Member

Alright so ive got a ball python an setting up to get a brazilian rainbow an a columbian rainbow im wanting to know the pros cons if i should or should not mix breed them and how they might turn out???? Either way im probably gonna end up getting both knowing me lol im a snake freak so yea any info an advice would help :)

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I'm pretty certain a red tail boa and b. rainbow boa are not going to breed. If you put them together all they will do is become stressed out and possibly fight each other.

3. 09msstang

09msstang Elite Member

No a columbian rainbow boa not a red tail

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

They are both beautiful already, why mess with it, I think mother nature did it right the first time! Are they from different localities?

5. 09msstang

09msstang Elite Member

Uhhhh localities..... Sorry its early in the morning for me an big wirds confuse me in the morning... If ur meaning reptile store yes same store as for breeder i have no idea im just curious what the turn out would be an the pros an cons i agree their probably the most beautiful snakes ive ever seen next to the king cobra ( the san diego zoo has one its huge and beautiful) anyway my curiousity made me ask

6. mld

What I meant is that they may come from different areas naturally. I just wonder why would you want to:confused:

7. SonnysDragonS

SonnysDragonS Elite Member

One comes from brazil one from Colombia... Both are in south America though

8. mld

This is exactly what happened with the Hogg Island Boa, People started breeding with other types and now they are hard to come by a pure hog island.

9. 09msstang

09msstang Elite Member

i was just curious cause u would think the coloration might be different u know like a rare kind i think their should be a reptile simulator to show the probability of coloration between breeds

10. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

I think by the little bit of research I just done you are going to create nothing more then a mutt, and though you have some buyers that would buy these mutts (like me) you wouldn't get much off of them

11. 09msstang

09msstang Elite Member

Id do it purely to see wut i got lol i dont think animals should b bought an sold

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Please stop typing in IM shorthand.

13. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

So once you made them do you plan to keep them all? I really don't understand this post.

Hybrids in general look like a mix of both wild types/colors so might not make a pretty animal. That is if they are compatible, and if one does not see the other as prey items.

14. 09msstang

09msstang Elite Member

Im just curious if its ever been done and what the out come was based solely on the fact that some snakes that get mixed make some of the coolest looking snakes like the pie bald those look crazy my biggest question would be probably be....... Is there any more of a higher risk of deformity or disease..... I wouldnt wish that on any animal or reptile the main reason i asked is because i wanted to get a columbian and a brazilian im just worried that if in some case that one was mis sexed an i had no other choice than to put them in the same cage for any amount of time that they could possibly mate and id have a big problem on my hands i just want to know ahead of time if for any reason my snakes got mixed together i know it probably makes no sense with my question but i figure its better to ask than never know an have it happen and sorry merlin i was using my phone and its been typing really weird today

15. justor

justor Elite Member

a piebald ball python is 100% Python regius. It is not a hybrid. It is simply a ball python which carries a genetic mutation just like the plethora of other ball python morphs out there.

As was mentioned earlier most hybridizations typically result in what one may refer to as a "mutt". If you want to produce really cool looking snakes, breed for genetic morphs or selectively breed for specific traits from each parent.

16. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Also consider that different species vary with respect to the hemipenes so despite your best efforts, attempting to breed these localities may be physically impossible.

17. 09msstang

09msstang Elite Member

Thanks this is very helpful so if i wanted to start breeding morphs what ones should i breed an should i read the precautions on breeding in general im not gonna be doin it for awhile but when i do start i wanna know all there is or that i can about it

18. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

#1 work with something You like! Not just what you think will make lots of money etc. Remeber your going to be dealing with these animals everyday, handling, feeding, breeding,cleaning etc. Plus what do you like that can fit into your price range. I have spent close to two thousand dollars on my cornsnake set up. Maybe next year or the year after I can break even? Some morphs are pricy like the pied ball pythons. I believe they are in the $2000-$4000 range. You need an emergancy fund set aside, and find out before who the best reptile Vet(s) in your area.

#2 you will have to learn basic genetics, like if you look at my clutch I bred 2 different morphs and the clutch will result in wild/classic cornsnakes, none will look like the parents. Chances are my male carries the gene that my female is. Time will tell.

#3 is there a market there? The closet cornsnake breeders to me are 4-5 hour drive away. Talk to the managers of local petshops, if you can't sell privatly make sure you have back up.

#4 do you have the room? You'll need to keep hatchlings until they eat good on their own. No animal will leave my house until it's eating well on frozen thawed mice.

#5 Murphys law, some times things don't work out. Good eggs can go bad. Some times your males and females dont want anything to do with each other etc.

#6 find a local breeder, any kind of snake and learn as much as you can from them. Internet, books any thing and everyone. Remeber everyone has different views on things you have to choose what works the best for you!

19. 09msstang

09msstang Elite Member

Thanks a ton an as im going to b starting off going to school school for auto tech this wont be for awhile but i was thinking pie balds or just doin rainbow boas an me an my bf are gettin a 2 bedroom an dedicating a whole room to the snakes an are gonna build our own stands an everything not to mention ill have more than enough time on my hands for all of them because my bf wont be here :( hes goin on deployment so im gonna start collecting the tanks an stuff