This Disappears When Logged In

Mites

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by DragonSlayer, Aug 20, 2015.

1. DragonSlayer

DragonSlayer Established Member

Has anyone used Provent-a-Mite? My water Dragon has mites, don't see them living on him, they seem to be from the plants and are just running across him. Holding him up to the light I don't see any. Can I just spray the area down with the Provent-a-Mite and not have to do anything to him?
    I have an email into the manufacture asking the same thing.

link: Provent-a-Mite

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

You will need to remove the lizard until the spray is dry, and I wouldn't recommend feeding insects in the cage for a while either. I have only ever used it to treat mites in snakes, and that usually involves removing all cage furnishings, throwing out any bedding, and I usually bake anything I can't run through the dishwasher to kill any remaining mites or eggs. The animals then gets a minimal setup, paper towel substrate, water dish, plastic hide, and that's it until the mites are gone. That said it doesn't sound like these are regular reptile notes if they are not hanging out on the lizard at all, so none of this may apply. Is there any chance of getting a picture of one of the mites? Might help ID them easier.

3. DragonSlayer

Tried getting a picture but there fast little things and only is site for a few second then gone, thought they were small sugar ants till the stool sample came back.

It's a 12x8 room with no substrate just planters, so that helps.

Thank God the wife is out of town so all the fake plants and vines will go in the dishwasher :)
    Have a Cork Log that's about 3 feet long that I will wash down by hand and spray with the provent-a-mite. If this stuff saves me from having to unplant the plants, that will be great.

4. DragonSlayer

As far as feeding, I just hold up a piece of egg carton with Dubias on it and he picks them off, so no contamination issue to deal with :)

5. DragonSlayer

Received a reply from the manufacturer, they said I can spray the whole plant and to do where the walls meet the floor also, then wash anything that is removeable.

6. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Are they anything like this?
    Mites? Id Help | Herp Center

Chances are if they're more interested in the plants and wood they're harmless, even beneficial.