This Disappears When Logged In

Mites?

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by BallPaul, Oct 28, 2013.

1. BallPaul

BallPaul New Member

Well where to start. First I am not new to reptile keeping, i have just been lucky enough to not run into this problem before. I just noticed today a little bug on my GTP. I looked him over more and didn't see anything. Looked a little later and found one more. Pretty sure it has mites. I isolated the tank right away considering i have 3 other reptiles in the room. I have some reptile relief coming on the way and should be here wednesday to start treating. The question now is, do you guys think I have caught this early enough to treat it, and what other things should I do to go about treating? From what I read : Place snake in container mist a little reptile relief, let stand for 15-30 min, take everything out of tank, wipe with bleach and spray with reptile relief and let dry. repeat for 2-3 weeks. Anything else?
    Paul

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Paper towel substrate for a couple months until your sure the problem is gone, and maybe invest in a can of provent-a-mite for treating the cage and surrounding areas if the reptile relief doesn't cut it. Mites are a bit like cockroaches in that if you see 1 or 2 there are probly a lot more you don't see. Also, throw out any substrate that was in or near the cage, and make absolutely sure you get into every crevice when cleaning. You may have caught this early enough to keep things under control.

3. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

What exactly are we talking about? Mites are tiny little specs that will cause the snake to soak often times. there are other mites that do not affect the animals...

4. boidaesplace

boidaesplace Well-Known Member

Been a while since you posted, wondering how that went?
    We've delt with mites several times now, and are back at it due to one coming in from a dealer that was infested and spread before we caught it!
    We are also dealing with a green tree python now as well, thinking he will be a bit harder since his enclosure is so much more complex than the others, as well as moister and warmer which is good breeding territory for the mites.
    Did you get an answer on what exactly your dealing with? There nasty little critters that can really stress your snake out!
    We isolate, soak and spray for weeks to deal with them, although I'm a little concerned about the tree python, not sure how he'll deal with being soaked, so we'll probably need to spray him also.
    Let me know how it went for you and what you did! Sounds like you were heading the right way!

5. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Check out mvf forum. Good info and threads about dealing with mites on green trees. Not only mites but chondros in general