This Disappears When Logged In

Mites

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Melissa747, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

I'm pretty sure I have either mites or baby fruit knats in my red footed tortoise's enclosure. Is there anything I can use that will be safe for my little one that will get rid of these pesky things?

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, are the insects actually on the tortoise or just in the enclosure?

3. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

I saw that one was on her bottom shell. None seem to be on her actual skin though. They seemed to be mainly in the food bowl but I'm assuming there are some also in the enclosure.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I think if they were mites they`d be all over the tortoise, the best thing to do is put her in a shallow dish of luke warm water for a few minutes, see what comes off. If they are mites you`ll need to take everything out obviously. Bleach will not kill the eggs, but there are proprietry remedies, though I can`t remember the names? Hopefully someone else will come in, or you can just do a search (I`ve never had a mite problem with any of my animals).
    If they aren`t mites and just flies, and you have a steam-gun, that would work to clean everything (obviously removing the animal first).

5. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

I soaked her and no bugs appeared to be in the water. Just some dirt from her bedding. I think they're baby fruit knats. They are real white ting bugs. D:

6. Poison

Poison Elite Member

i wouldnt worry about the bugs i have several different kind in my torts enclosure including spring tails and wood mites which are very helpful in keeping the enclosure clean

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Do they fly?
    The bugs,... not the torts!;)