This Disappears When Logged In

Mites or Spots?

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Majora, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Majora

Majora Elite Member

Hello everyone - I haven't posted in a while but all my herps have been doing fine. However today I fed all my snakes and when I took my corn snake out of his enclosure I noticed some black spots on his belly. He has always had a few black dots and I never really thought much of it, but suddenly it seems like he has a lot more. He's two years old and lives in a 20 gallon long tank on shredded newspaper with a heat pad. Temps are 88-90* surface temp over the pad, and ~76* ambient. He eats an adult mouse about every two weeks, sometimes more often. He's never missed a meal and has perfect sheds.

I have never had a snake with mites before so I'm wondering if that's what I'm dealing with, but he doesn't seem to have any other signs I've read about that would point to mites. No raised scales, no dots in the water bowl or bedding and nothing comes off in my hands. He's been acting totally normal, sheds great and he never soaks in his bowl. He doesn't have any of the dots around his eyes or mouth either, and the dots on his belly seem completely flat and not raised at all - they really do look like just spots on his scales. I can't get them off or anything and they don't move. They start a few inches down from his head and stop a few inches before his vent, as soon as his belly turns from white to red. He also ate fine today, as usual.

Here are some pics -

e26b34fc-8a21-4b1c-a081-8e60564dfe94_zps27e81566.jpg

c2932b76-f07e-472c-9793-94ec655b5cc0_zps2497874e.jpg

I just want to be on the safe side. Does this look/sound like mites? Or is it possible for corns to have little spots like that?

2. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Looks like spots to me :) My bloods have the same dots too.
    GoldSword the caramel diffused has lots!
    041-13.jpg

3. Majora

Majora Elite Member

Thank you! I was hoping you'd see this, haha. I figured if anyone would know it'd be you. He is a blood so that makes sense. It just kinda surprised me because he didn't have them before, although he did shed recently.