This Disappears When Logged In

Mites or Spots??

Discussion in 'Emerald Tree Boa/Arboreal Boas' started by MoskiWoski, Apr 11, 2013.

1. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

I can only see these little spots in pictures really. She's just arrived so she stays hiding most of the time. Just wanted some opinions, are these mites or just black spots? Part of her coloration or something to address?

image.jpg

Thanks everyone!!

2. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

I guess, like me, no one has ever dealt with mites before.

3. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

I have once a LONG time ago, but from what I remember, they will be moving-around and under the scales. They wont just hang out in one spot, so if thats what your seeing its most likely coloration- at worst scale rot-but thats usually on the belly.

4. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

Thanks. They don't seem to be moving. I just got her two days ago, and I'm taking pictures so I can compare. I appreciate the input, and I'll read up on scale rot.

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

with mites you take a white damp clothe or paper towel. swipe it over the snake...Are there moving specks on the clothe? No? well they are just spots. Yes? time to start treatments!

Other signs of mites: spending long periods of time soaking (especially in an arboreal snake that isnt shedding this would be concerning), or specks in the water.

Edit: where you have only had her a few days, watch the water for signs of specks for several days before you try the towel trick.

6. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

Thanks, Thala. I haven't seen anything in the water and there was nothing in the deli cup. I'm pretty sure they're just spots, I just wanted some other opinions. I've never dealt with or seen mites before, and I'd rather be safe. Thank you everyone for your input. I'll continue keeping an eye on her, for about 15-20 years. Haha. Daily!!

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I am lucky enough to have never dealt with them either but I have researched it just incase

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Check thoroughly around the eyes. The seem to congregate there. They will be noticeable as a dark ring.

9. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

Thanks. Upon further inspection, they are just spots. I'm glad, I've heard that's a mess you don't want to deal with. Thanks everyone for your help. Like I said, I'd rather be safe than sorry. And several opinions never hurt anybody.