This Disappears When Logged In

Mites? Help!!!

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by alicia123, Nov 15, 2010.

1. alicia123

alicia123 Elite Member

I was cleaning out my ball pythons enclosure today and she had pooped and when I went to pick it up I noticed that there were little whitish bugs crawling over the poop. Could it be mites? I haven't noticed any little bugs crawling over the snake. Or could it just be some bugs that are living in the substrate? Please help!

2. ChaosSaber

ChaosSaber Member

The mites we are dealing with now are little black ones, they get up under her scales and nose area, their a pain to get rid of it, but I am not sure what the white bugs are, maybe something from the bedding that you're using, what kind of bedding are u using, when i did a search on here some said it could be headlice or something from the soil if you're using any type of soil, do they look like strings? you mite want to search for Springtail to see if maybe it looks like that, when I did a google search on it, it came up with alot of people asking the same question

3. alicia123

alicia123 Elite Member

I am using cypress mulch.

4. BaptizedByFire

BaptizedByFire Active Member

I don't know much about snakes but I would recommend taking him to a reptile veterinarian. Also throughly cleaning and disinfecting his enclosure and everything in it. Home remedies anyone?

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Mites only appear black/dark after they have fed on blood. Prior to that, they are white.

They are a pain to exterminate, but it can be done. I just had them this summer.

7. alicia123

alicia123 Elite Member

So should I put the snake in a separate enclosure, and clean everything in the enclosure?

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

The mite eradication link that was posted is a wonderful resource. It gives you more information on the life cycle of the little pests - so be sure to read it and follow it carefully.

You can get a plastic storage bin at wal*mart for $5 or so (You will probably want 2 of them). That would be sufficient for treatment.

The products I used are:

De Flea Reptile Spray - PetSupplies.com
    (I needed a gallon because I treated 7 snakes and 3 lizards.)

I also used Permethrin. The typical percentage of permethrin in OTC treatments is 0.5%-4%. You can order it in stronger concentrations (though stronger is not more effective, it's just more volume after you dilute it). I ordered 10%, diluted it to 1% and used it on my carpets to keep the mites from traveling.

I preferred to use the reptile relief directly on my animals, and the permethrin on everything else (My floors, the cages, cage accessories. I keep most of my snakes on Carpets, and those are sprayed with permethrin regularly now to make sure no mites can get in here.)

If you have cats, be very careful about using permethrin-based products around them, as exposure can result in seizures and death. If you spray it in the house, the cats need to be kept away for at least 3 hours after it is fully dry, just to be safe. Cats seem to be the only animal affected by it. It is routinely sprayed on livestock to deter flies, and used in flea medications for dogs, and lice treatment for people, and tick control in areas where Lyme disease is prevalent.

Hope this helps!

9. alicia123

alicia123 Elite Member

Yeah that helps alot, thanks!

10. Varanid

Varanid Active Member

They could be cleaner mites, or wood mites. I see them sometimes days after cleaning a tank. If they are either they are not a danger.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If the bugs are only crawling around on the waste and not getting on the snake I seriously doubt that they are mites.

12. RealRearWheelRider

RealRearWheelRider Active Member

Hello
    I had mites when i bought my snake this summer some were white when they grow up and feed on blood they are black (i think they are the adults) Everyone told me that mites were very hard to get rid of.
    however i was told head lice remover from your drugstore will work.
    The stuff i bought was called Nix (permethrin 1%) i mixed it with water and washed out my snakes tank. Instead of puttin mulch or somthing in for the sub. i just used newspapers and 1 hide. I then put the Nix and water solution into a spray bottle and sprayed the whole enclosur including the snake. I would spray every 2-3days and a week later NO MITES :) note: i found that the headlice cream would really dry out the snake and the tank so had to mist with just water alot.

13. Varanid

Varanid Active Member

Human lice shampoos can be EXTREMELY toxic!!! Always check with a vet before attempting home remedies. There are many products available for reptile mites, check into those before using head lice shampoo.

14. alicia123

alicia123 Elite Member

Yeah thats the only place I saw them, I took the snake out and out her in a different enclosure, and I am going take out and clean everything in the enclosure. Just to be safe

15. Varanid

Varanid Active Member

Never a such thing as too safe!

16. Merlin

Particularly with the possibility of a mite infestation!

17. alicia123

alicia123 Elite Member

Just a question, if it is mites, how could they have gotten there? None of my other animals had them, and we have had her for about 9 months and havent seen any kind of bugs around. So how do mites get there?

18. Merlin

They can come in from any number of sources. You yourself can carry them in if for instance you are at a shop that has them. Or you buy product that has been in an area that has them and carrry them in. They don't necessarily have to come in on an animal.
    They are sneaky little buggers.

19. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Could a feeder bring them in, like a live rodent?

20. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Yes, they can.