This Disappears When Logged In

Misunderstood Herps

Discussion in 'General' started by Microscope Jockey, Dec 9, 2004.

?

Which kind of herp is most misunderstood?

1. Lizards

6 vote(s)
    8.8%
  2. Snakes

52 vote(s)
    76.5%
  3. Turtles and Torts

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  4. Crocs and Gators

6 vote(s)
    8.8%
  5. Frogs and Toads

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Salamanders and Newts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other (please specify)

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  8. None! I know everything about everything!

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  9. I have no opinion at this time

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyn'sSteve

Lyn'sSteve Elite Member

I too would go with Snakes,

Everyone I tell at work that we have 10 snakes, all say the same thing "What do you have a bunch of snakes for? Your gonna wake up some morning and be missing a dog or a child!"

I think snakes are the calmest reptiles I've known!

Steven

2. allie&shadwell

allie&shadwell Elite Member

I don't own a snake, simply because I like rodents too much to want to have to feed a snake another animal that I really enjoy!, but I have handled several, and I cannot understand why people are so horrified by them. They are not 'slimy', they are not 'scary', and they are definitely not 'ugly'. Last year I handled a huge boa constrictor for the first time, and it was a life-changing experience in that it was something I had wanted to do all my life. It almost changed my small daughter's life, too - she thought her mummy was going to be swallowed by a boa constrictor! I soon put her straight and got her to stroke the snake and handle about a foot of him. She was pleasantly surprised at how beautiful his skin felt. Now when we go to the pet store she checks out the birds first and the snakes second, quite a change!:)

3. Brittone05

Brittone05 Elite Member

I chose lizards for the simple reason that over here to own a snake is classed as quite normal. Obviously there are still idiots who but them and then neglect them and such but if you were to say you owned a 9' boa people wouldn't bat an eyelid. Now tell the same person that you own a 4' iguana, a 12" beardie and a chameleon and they look at you like you've got 3 heads!! They think that while a large boa could potentially crush the breath out of you, an iguana must be worse because they've got teeth and stuff and have more legs than a human!!

From a personal point of view, snakes would have been my answer simply because I myself am only just learning about them (although I have NO plans to get one - ever!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.