This Disappears When Logged In

Misunderstood Herps

Discussion in 'General' started by Microscope Jockey, Dec 9, 2004.

?

Which kind of herp is most misunderstood?

1. Lizards

6 vote(s)
    8.8%
  2. Snakes

52 vote(s)
    76.5%
  3. Turtles and Torts

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  4. Crocs and Gators

6 vote(s)
    8.8%
  5. Frogs and Toads

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Salamanders and Newts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other (please specify)

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  8. None! I know everything about everything!

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  9. I have no opinion at this time

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

Which kind of herp do you feel is most misunderstood and why? What would you do to change this?

I think snakes are the most misunderstood, followed by crocadillians then lizards. Snakes and crocs because they can be quite dangerous and lizards because some have very unique nutritional requirements. To change this I would encourage environmental education at an early age either by getting people like Jay ;) to give talks or by taking kids to zoos and museums where they can see anf maybe interact with crocs and snakes. I would also give money to conservation and research efforts. Conservation because that way we could conserve habitat for crocs & gators and potentially dangerous snakes in order to lessen the chance of them coming into contact with ignorant dangerous humans :p and then they could be studied in order to educate ignorant dangerous humans.

2. venus

venus Founding Member

I think most people assume snakes are slimmy...

3. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

That's a tough one. I think in general it might be the snakes. "They're all dangerous!", "they're slimy", etc. I think as far as pet care goes though, I'd say turtles, then lizards, then crocs. Turtles need so much more than you see or hear from a pet store.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Snakes!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will definately go with snakes. They're all slimy, or all dangerous, they are evil, the only good snake is a dead snake, and so on!! Nothing else seems to elicit quite the same unreasoning response in people,...
    (except maybe spiders :D)

I would (and do) make it a point to expose children at an early age to positive experiences with serpents before the parents can instill that fear in them. Jay's school visitations is a good thing. Along with programs at parks and rec centers featuring snakes, particularly native species, so that children can learn which snakes are actually dangerous and which are not.

5. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

i defintely agree with the snakes being "slimy" and "all being dangerous" and all that kind of stuff people think about them. i also have to agree with the part about turtles and tortoises being misunderstood as far as pet care goes. there's so much stuff that they need. after i tell most people what size they get and what they need to care for them they usually decide a turtle/tortoise is not for them cuz they can't provide the space and care. the thing i really really hate to hear is when someone says "oh thats a good pet they only grow to the size of their environment". man that really irritates me! :mad: i get that with turtles alot and just the other day i had a customer say that about an iguana. she was very unhappy to hear what i had to say about that. she had no clue that they get bigger than two feet and wanted to keep it in a 20 long tank for all its life.. :eek:

6. steveig2

steveig2 Elite Member

snakes have had a bad rep from the begining of mankind even being represented as evil in the bible. now thats a tough rep to beat. myself i love snakes though i dont own any.

7. MoLdYpOtAtOe

MoLdYpOtAtOe Elite Member

I would say turtles.Because There were two specific people in my highschool that housed there full grown box turtles in a small bin that looked like a 5 gallon... Much to many turtles are housed in way to small houses that it saddens me.

8. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I too have to go with snakes. I think that's what started my fascination with them at an early age,,,,everyones opinion of them were so negative and they seemed so taboo to society in general.

9. prismwolf

prismwolf Well Established Member

Snakes!

Snakes most definitely!!!!

Especially here in the south it seems. I have lived in CA and TN. CA's are much more opened to the aspects of snake owning, although there are still plenty of those opposing the practice. Here in the south...GAWDS...there are so many really dangerous snakes such as the timber rattlers and cotton mouths that people are taught at a young age that ALL snakes are to be feared...and being in the bible belt does not help them (the snakes) either.

I submitted my picture I had used in this forum at work for our "Rein Dear" of the ball python we just aquired that was wrapped around my 16 yr old daughters neck. People FLIPPED and asked how she could do that! Many of them were truly mortified! Out of all of the species I care for...the snakes are at the very top of the "icky" list...with the tarantula running a close second.

Both very misunderstood beasties...

10. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

It's funny how when I go to a school I worry more about the kids getting bit by a tortoise than I do a snake, because they show no fear towards the cute little torts with the bonecrushing bite!

I chose snake because more questions are asked about them.

11. HerpBabe448

HerpBabe448 Well-Known Member

12. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

I said snake, I get asked some of the most silly questons of my friends :p

13. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Well

It was a hard choice between snakes and crocs and Gators, In the end I went with Crocs and Gators everyone thinks of them as Man eating and runs to hide the family dog! :D

14. SpindleHead

SpindleHead Elite Member

Snakes...like my wife says "the way they move is unnatural" LOL...course if you throw a spider on me I'll shriek like a little girl...LOL No really I will. :eek:

15. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Snakes really seem to have an internationally bad reputation. I've met so many people here in Europe with a snake phobia that is so intense, they won't even look at a PHOTO of a snake!
    When I asked if they've ever had a bad experience with a snake, most have responded that they've never actually seen one except on TV! (They've never even gone to the vivarium part of the zoo!) It's such a shame that these amazing animals are so mis-judged!

16. wing

wing Active Member

snakes

u know ppl think snakes are out to get u and the truth is there not.

17. iturnrocks

iturnrocks Elite Member

I would say venomous snakes are most mis-understood, but for the majority of people, they have no idea how to identify snakes, so they assume everything is dangerous. I have the same problem when it comes to people. Theyre all dangerous to me.

18. Hide Clyde

Hide Clyde Elite Member

Snakes hands down! But considering how ignorant the general public is one could make a point for any creature on the planet.

19. Venomous

Venomous Member

people. misunderstand snakes so much. when i first got apollo my grandma got mad she said brining a snake in is brining in the Devil. all cuz of the story of the devil disguised as a snake in the biblical story of Adam and Eve

20. geckoguykc

geckoguykc Elite Member

I would have to say snakes, I hate having to tell my own family to not kill them (once my grandma sprayed one with fly spray till it died)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.