This Disappears When Logged In

Miracle Grow Organic Potting Mix for a Crested Gecko?

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by dbldbl, May 26, 2013.

1. dbldbl

dbldbl Member

I currently have a 40g breeder aquarium set up, planted. I would like to eventually set it up as a tank for my first reptile. I've been looking at Crested Geckos and Day Geckos, but the consensus seems to be that Cresties are easier for beginners.

My plan was to use the Organic Potting Mix as a bottom layer for the plants, and to top that off with Orchid (fir) Bark.

Thanks for the advice.

2. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Umm I'm not an expert because I don't use soil as substrate, but I THINK you're supposed to stay away from certain soils because of the fertilizer and etc can be posionous to reptiles.

Don't take that as fact though as I could be completely wrong.

3. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

Most fertilizers are toxic to reptiles and phibs. I would not use any other than rotting leaves.

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Don't use miracle grow. Morally a terrible company and chemical crap for soil. Go with the cheapest topsoil at your Walmart or wherever you chose to go. They are usually made without added fertilizer or chemicals. Go for plain ol soil.

5. dbldbl

dbldbl Member

so whats the consensus? Is it poisonous/toxic?

What would be toxic in it? The fish are able to live with it as the main substrate. I would be using it only because I already have it available and I know it works well.

Found out it has not perlite or vermiculate, also it's a potting mix rather than a garden soil.

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

A note about organic fertilizers - they typically contain things that may be great for plants, but not so great for animals, including people. If you check the ingredients, you'll likely see "poultry litter" which is literally chicken crap, probably from factory farms. USDA regulates which food items may be called "organic" but I don't know if any such stipulations exist for potting soil. In all likelihood, if they don't, the poultry litter can contain anything that was fed to the chickens, including chemicals, and antibiotics.

I may water my garden with water from my fish tank, but i still wouldn't drink it, or fill my cat's water dish with it.