This Disappears When Logged In

Minimizing Stress in a Temporary Small Cage?

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by TitoAndKatt, May 13, 2014.

1. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Looking for some tips. We are preparing to move at the end of this summer (from Alaska to Washington). Pluto, my SO's corn snake will be upgrading to a 40 breeder from his current 29 gallon. He's getting my BP Shiiva's cage, and I am buying her a new custom cage. I need the money from selling Pluto's 29 gallon to buy Shiiva's cage, which will take ~2 months. I am selling Pluto's cage today (I expected it to take longer to sell, but I can't turn down a full price offer for it). He will be downgraded to a 10 gallon tank for the summer, after which as I said he will be getting a huge upgrade. We plan to keep as much of his familiar cage furniture as possible and will let him out for plenty of exercise. What else can we do to minimize his stress in the smaller cage? Advice is much appreciated! :)

Super excited for the move, but definitely super anxious about getting the critters through the next 3 months while we are in such a big transition phase.

2. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Keep the enclosure in a low-traffic, fairly secluded area (it may be difficult with so much stuff going on during the move, but there's always an area that's a little quieter than the rest of the house) and make sure the enclosure is not too bright. You can put it in a corner, so that 2 sides are sealed off, or throw a blanket over one corner to create a darkened, secluded 'nook' where he can go if he feels threatened. He will be stressed out if he feels he's exposed and has no place to hide. Don't handle him too much, especially right before the move; just let him relax. I'm sure he'll be fine.

3. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

And event you move he will have to be reacclimated, so when you move you will need to leave him be for a few weeks to a month or so......

4. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Yeah, once you move into your new house you'll need to basically start over and act as if you've only just got him. A week or two with no handling should be enough and then you can start taking him out to explore the house;)

5. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Thanks guys! Shiiva (BP) has been through a few moves before, but never so far. Pluto hasn't been through a move yet and is a bit flightier in general so I'm anxious about how he will handle it. They will definitely have ample time to settle in once we arrive. The offer on Pluto's cage fell through which is good bc it means less time in a smaller temp cage but bad bc it means I can't buy Shiiva's new cage quite yet. We have some time though...
    Should we leave Pluto alone while he is in the small temp cage then? It will potentially be up to 2 months... I feel like he might appreciate extra time out to stretch and move around since he is a very active snake and won't be used to such cramped quarters...

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Kitty, I would definitely allow some "outside" time, some excercise is good (even for snakes).
    I think it`s a great idea to use as much of the original furniture as possible (you clearly weren`t having a blonde moment when you thought of that)..... ;)