This Disappears When Logged In

Millipedes Are Growing Fast!

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by Dragoness, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I got these guys a while ago (March), and as young, they spend considerable time underground. I was reluctant to dig for them for fear of injuring them, but I only ever saw 3 topside at a time, and was beginning to wonder if one had perished. Apparently not - Yesterday, four were topside, and one is getting much bigger much faster than the other 3 (The 3 I kept seeing were roughly the same size. These guys were all the same size when I started.)

Here are "Then and Now" pics!

Attached Files:

2. snubber

snubber Elite Member

Those guys look so cool and they grew a lot.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I can't wait till they are BIG and (with any luck) start breeding. I think with 4 I have a decent shot at having both genders present...

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

They grew alot, that's great. Can't wait to see them full grown, there are too cool. thanks for checking on them and keeping before pictures:cool:

5. AnolesJTO

AnolesJTO Elite Member

Wow, they are the largest looking millipedes I've ever seen .. well .. sorta ;)

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

They are just babies! lol. I can't wait till they are big.

7. Cowrie

Cowrie Well-Known Member

Do you think the big one may be a different species? Its proportions and coloration seems different from the other three.

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

These guys also change colors faintly as they age, the young starting out whitish, growing into to gray youngsters, and finally black, with dark red under the overlapping plates when adult. The difference in color between these individuals might be something to do with growth rates.

I doubt they would be different species. I purchased the set of four from a breeder. It's normal for the males (when grown) to be a little larger than the females. I don't know if they necessarily grow faster though. If it is, I'm happy, because it would mean I have 1 male and 3 females (great breeding setup.)

9. okiron

okiron Elite Member

Aww beautiful. Millipedes are the only creatures my husband has banned from this house so I will just have to love from afar.

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

millipedes and not scorpions or tarantulas? That seems odd to me...

11. okiron

okiron Elite Member

Hehe tarantulas would be on my list of not allowed in our house but neither bother him at all.

12. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

So how long is their reproductive cycle? I'm interested in raising them for my Savannah Monitor.

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Og_: very slow. they take at least 2-3 years to reach maturity. They are also hard to get in the states.