This Disappears When Logged In

Milksnake?

Discussion in 'Milksnakes' started by Turner, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Turner

Turner Elite Member

I own 2 geckos (raptor-leopard gecko, sharp tooth-viper gecko). Ive been entertaining the idea of getting a snake for a couple months now. I have no interest at all, in any way, shape, or form, of having a boa or python at all, ever. Nothing against them i think theyre stunning but i cant deal with the size and they make me nervous and uneasy. I had a friend who had a boa and my husband loved it and carried it everywhere. I however am not one of those people who can deal with them. I think they sense that im scared and nervous and i upset them. However at our local exotic pet store i saw some milk snakes and in particular a caramel corn snake. After seeing them and holding one of the milksnakes i didnt feel so nervous. I know they get decently sized but i thought maybe if i got when it was a baby i could adjust to it and if not my husband loves snakes and would be able to have his own reptile, since the I took over the geckos and handle and control everything to do with them. He had a king snake until it went bazerk after a feeding. His girlfriend at the time put her in a box to feed her and went to put her back in the tank once she ate and she snapped at her and she dropped it from about 2 feet from the floor and from then on she attacked everyone and everything. With my son only being 4 months at the time she had to go. I didnt want to risk anything.

Okay to the point. Are they good snakes? Do they tend to be aggressive? Are they hard to take care? And any and all other advice or input would be appreciated.

2. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

LOL milk snakes get to the same length as a ball python, with many species of colubrid getting larger, but not nearly as wide, creating the feel and look of a smaller snake, which it is. Balls can be tricky feeders sometimes, however, which is stressful for a first time keeper, so it's good that you are looking at other options. My milksnake HATES me, he'll come up for food, but once i put my hand anywhere near him he flips and tries to bite and musk.... But if you get a calm baby, it likely will not have any of these issues. Make sure to keep all snakes singly, as they can eat, kill, or dominate eachother if you put them together.

For a first snake, corns and milks make great pets. But buyer beware, you can never have a single snake, it becomes addicting to buy snakes and enclosures.... :p

3. Turner

Turner Elite Member

Okay thank you! :) I know the addicting side. Like I said i have 2 geckos. I got my leo in december and got my viper 2 days ago. And ive been in talks with a breeder to get 2 more different geckos. So i fully understand the addiction.

I know they get as big as ball pythons but for some reason, even as babies, ball pythons/boas scare me and make me nervous. I was thinking since corn and milks start out really small i would be okay with it. My husband has been like "yeah! Lets go get it today!" I just still havent fully decided and wanted to see what you guys had to say about them.

My mom hates anything that isnt a dog so i was never allowed to have reptiles. So since I moved out I started looking into reptiles, and since I got my first leo I LOVE REPTILES. I keep seeing more and more I like and putting them on a list of ones I would love to own eventually. And when i saw that caramel corn snake I was like I might be able to do that. They also have a milksnake thats white and orange that I like too. I just didnt know how easy they were to take care of, and if they were one of those reptiles that seems to be untameable. I have read care sheets but have no personal experience with them. That's why I figured I would see how you guys that have them, and see what you think. I've never owned a snake either. So if you have any suggestions of other snakes I would greatly appreciate that too!

Also I didn't mean to offend anyone with not liking/wanting a boa or ball python. They're just not my thing and scare me and make nervous. The one ball python I was around I felt it could sense that I wasn't to keen on it bc it would do everything to stay away from me. I didn't mean to offend anyone and if I did I'm sorry.

4. Turner

Turner Elite Member

Oh and by size i didnt mean like length i meant like big around. The ball python I was around my hand couldnt even fir around it.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Milksnakes is a term that covers a diverse group of species. From your description I am going to guess it was a Honduran. Carewise they are quite simple and a good beginners snake. Hatchlings can be nippy, but totally harmless, and some are prone to musk but most of them get over it.

But it is also going to depend on the snake. I have handled Hondurans that wanted to eat me alive but my Sinaloan has never offered to strike.

Corns are good too and not quite as nippy.

6. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Colubrids(milks, corns, kings etc) can be nippy as hatchlings but the bites do not hurt at all. I once saw it described as being attacked by angry velcro and it's true! I have an 8 month old corn that was very nippy, bit me all the time and never drew blood.

Colubrids make a wonderful first snake, they get to a managable size, eat nothing bigger then adult mice, and care is rather easy. Plus they are eatng machines, and switch to frozen thawed so easy. I often tell people they would eat a dirty sock if I wiggled it for them lol!

Best idea is too get your tank set up first. A 10 gallon will do for a hatchling, under the tank heater, 2 hides, water dish ect. I love aspen(get the stuff for hamsters you get 3x more for the same price), shredded paper, newspaper or paper towels for bedding. The loose stuff like aspen and shredded paper gives them something to tunnel through.

Good luck and hoping for lots of pictures :)

7. Turner

Turner Elite Member

Okay thank you guys! I already have the tank. I was going to use it for my Viper Gecko, but she's barely over an inch big, so I can't use it on her at all. I also have one of those large exo-terra faunariums that I bought with the idea of using for the Viper Gecko too, but she was far too small for that too.

With what all of you have said I believe that I may go get the caramel corn snake today! :D With my geckos though, if it were to musk me, how would I get the scent of that off so that they wouldn't smell it and stress them out?

8. Turner

Turner Elite Member

Oh also the snake I'm looking at is ridiculously tiny. So what would I feed it to start out with?

9. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Caramel corns are one of my favs :) Hatchlings look teeny tiny but they have no issue getting pinky mice down. If you buy them from a store that keeps them in a box(petsmart) take them out and look at them. They should have no fur on them. I have made the mistake of buying a box here or there and the mice being a size bigger or smaller.

I can't wait to see the pictures :)

10. Merlin

A good hand washing.
    Which should be standard practice in moving between animals anyway.

11. Turner

Turner Elite Member

We wash our hands between handling all of them I just wasnt sure if regular washing wash enough to get rid of it.

12. Turner

Turner Elite Member

I just bought the caramel corn snake!! :D I will post picures asap!!

13. Turner

Turner Elite Member

I don't have a name for it, but I have a dinosaur theme to my reptiles, so as soon as I think of a good one I'll let you guys know. Here it is!! :D

2013-03-15 13.56.34.jpg

2013-03-15 14.52.16.jpg

2013-03-15 14.55.12.jpg

14. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

So cute :) They start off so brown and get yellow as they mature!

15. Turner

Turner Elite Member

Really? Im excited!! The kid at the pet store was anjoyed i was making him do something. He was just like: "okay here you go. We dlfed it wednesday. We feed it once a week. Have fun." and walked off. I was like what the ****? It took itself out of the container when i got it home to put it in the tank. Im used to my geckos just sitting there and not doing anything so when it just started taking off and moving as i held it it was a little nerve racking bc i wasnt expecting it. But it never musked and never bit it was just like im going to take off and see what i can do.

16. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

17. Merlin

You really don't have to put up with that behavior, ask to see the owner/manager. You are the customer and YOU are paying his salary with your purchase!
    Rude employees of any type get my goat and they end up not liking me very much! I'm too old to tolerate such nonsene.

Hatchlings are like little electricly charged worms! Wiggle all over the place! As they get used to you and grow a bit the crazy wiggling stops but they will always be an active snake.

18. Turner

Turner Elite Member

Omg! Theyre beautiful!!

19. Turner

Turner Elite Member

Yeah I asked to see one when I was there, but they weren't there. So I'm calling tomorrow and going to talk to one.

Yeah I wasn't they were that active. It seemed mellow the whole time, and I took the lid off and it just started coming at me. I was like "oh ****!!" I caught and it was fine bt I was not expecting it. I thought my viper gecko moved fast, it was mind blowing. I was like i need like 50 hands! It took my like 15-20 minutes to get it into the tank bc everytime I put it in it came riht back out at me. It was never in any way aggressive though which surprised me. I expected it to be somewhat. I even expected the musking thing and it never did that either.

Even my leo when we first got it was a littl aggressive. Now she could care less what youre doing to her. She even lets my 16 month old son pet her, and occasionally tries to climb on him to hold her. We dont let him hold her though and he doesnt let her really either. He can pet her but if she tries to climb to him to have him hold her he cries and runs away.

20. Merlin

Thats one of the advantages of the captive bred.
    Corns have been bred in captivity for so long that they are almost on the way to being a domestic animal. They have been around humans since the day they come out of the egg and never see us as quite the threat that a wild caught specimen will.