This Disappears When Logged In

Milksnake (Lampropeltis Getula Californiae) Food Inquiry

Discussion in 'Milksnakes' started by jacopoiz, Jul 7, 2013.

1. jacopoiz

jacopoiz New Member

Hi!

I recently bought a milksnake (lampropeltis getula californiae). He is about 50cm (1.6 ft) and still has a thin body.

Here is a photo to let you see how big he is:
    getul3.jpg

I am not sure on how much and how often I should feed him.

I feed him 1 frozen pinkie (about 2 cm) every 5 days. Do you think this is suitable?

Thank you so much!

I am struggling to find the best solutions as everyone has their own opinions and I don't know on whom I should rely! :)

2. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

2 pinkies every five says should suffice. What's are your temperatures and humidity at?

On a side note, I don't think the animal you have is a milksnake. The scientific name and the picture that you gave are of California kingsnake.
    Welcome to the Herp Center!

3. jacopoiz

jacopoiz New Member

I keep the temperature stable at 83° F daytime and let it fall a bit night time (75°F). I don't use lights just a heating pad connected to a thermostat to avoid overheating. If the room is dark because of bad weather or closed blinds, i will just turn on the desk lightbulb and indirectly point it on the vivarium to create the 'daylight' illusion.

I don't have a hygrometer but I know they don't need much humidity so I think the water in the container should be fine, he sometimes takes baths in it.

Thx for answering!

PS: Yes I was wrong it's a kingsnake I don't know why I got confused :)

4. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

No biggie since technically Milk Snakes are King Snakes