This Disappears When Logged In

Milk Snake Temps

Discussion in 'Milksnakes' started by Meggs, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Meggs

Meggs Member

Hi,

I am new to this site, so bare with me :)
    I just aquired my first snake, a sinaloan milk snake, on Monday. She is in a 20 gal terrarium and I am using a stick on UTH under about 1/3rd of the tank. Currently using aspen bedding(they were using bark where I got her, but they had none left so suggested aspen as the next best option). I can feel a little bit of warmth on top of the substrate, but if I stick my hand down to the glass, it starts to feel quite hot after a few seconds. I have never seen her burrow, so is this okay? I know I can buy a thermostat or rheostat to regulate the temp, but I am worried if I turn it down, it won't be warm enough ontop of the aspen.
    My second problem is, the air temperature reading on the warm side is the same as the cool side, so the UTH doesn't seem to be heating the air at all. Is this a problem? The temperatures are about 70F on each side, which I am sure is too low. Should I use a heat lamp(or one on each side?) to raise the air temperature for her?
    She doesn't seem to be seeking out any extra warmth, in fact she spends most of her time in her hide on the cool side of the terrarium.
    Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What are you using to check temperatures?

3. Meggs

Meggs Member

I am using 2 Exo Terra analog thermometers, here is a link to them: Exo Terra : Thermometer / Analog Thermometer
    One on the cool side, one on the warm side, about an inch from the bottom of the terrarium. The one on the warm side only reads slightly higher than on the cool side, both right around 70-73F.
    Is there a better thermometer I could be using to measure the temp at the substrate level? And should I be using a heat lamp to raise the air temp?
    I do also have one of her hides placed over the spot with the heat pad, and it does feel warmer in there.

4. DimitrisDaisy

DimitrisDaisy Elite Member

5. Meggs

Meggs Member

Thanks, i'll pick up a couple tomorrow.. hopefully the pet store here sells them, we are a small town with just 2 small local pet stores and all I noticed was those dial ones.. give them a call first thing in the morning. If the air temperatures are still low, should I get a heating lamp in addition to the heat pad, or as long as it is warm enough at the substrate is it fine? I can't tell by the photo, does this thermometer have a probe that reads the temp at ground level, or does it read the air temp? If it doesn't have a probe, what should I get to read the temperatures inside her hide? I don't want it to be too hot..
    She seems content.. not seeking out extra heat or anything, I am just concerned she may slowly get sick or something from not having a warm enough air temperature.

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

You actually will only need one of the digital thermometer with a probe, exo terra also makes one that read humidity as well as temperature! Exo Terra Thermo-Hygrometer
    Model: PT-2470
    The probe can be moved around throughout the enclosure to check temperatures!
    The way it works is you place the probe on your basking spot, it has to be touching something, since you are using a UTH place it on the floor inside the hot hide that is over the UTH. This will give you a basking temp;
    Also when ever you are using a UTH or a Ceramic Heat Emitter they should be plugged into a Thermostat, this will ensure that the temperature stays where it should be and doesn't get hotter.
    Here is one that a lot of members use;

Zoo Med Repti Temp - Reptile - Sale Category - PetSmart

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You can get the thermometers at the hardware store in the garden section.

8. Meggs

Meggs Member

The pet store only sold the dial type but I managed to find an indoor/outdoor thermometer with a wired probe, made by Bios. Has anyone used these? It seems to take a while to get to a steady reading but it works for now.. I took the temp inside the hide on the warm side and it was over 94 so I have moved the hide so it is not directly over the heat pad. The temperature dropped to 90, should I turn down the heat pad? It is quite hot under the substrate(about 98) although she doesn't seem to burrow. The rest of the terrarium, cool side and air temp sit at 68-70.

9. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

10. Meggs

Meggs Member

Thanks everyone. I got a thermostat, got her warm spot at a comfortable temperature, and got a better thermometer. The air temperature and the temp on the cool side are still 68-70 though. Should I get a lamp to heat it a little bit or should she be fine so long as shes got her warm spot? She doesn't spend a ton of her time on the warm part anyways, so I can only assume she is comfortable.. It will be warming up soon here, but will still get cool again come winter time.