This Disappears When Logged In

Milk Snake Or C. King Snake?

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Petidoktor, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Petidoktor

Petidoktor Member

Hello,
    I have a spare tank and the equipment (heat mat, lighting, hides, water bowls, etc.) to house a new snake. My secondary job is to teach children in schools and kindergardens about reptiles, so I want one of these beauties to show a bit more patterns and colors. I all ready own quite an amount of reptiles like leo geckos, corn snake, ball phython, bearded dragon, water dragon and the biggest celebrity Billy, the huge male iguana, so I do have experience with reptiles. I'd like to expand this collection and my question is which one is easier in general to handle? I normally let kids gently pet them, so I need an animal with absolutely no signs of agression. I honestly tend more towards the Cali king snake, since I adored them ever since I was a kid, but I've heard they can become quite agressive at times. This would not be a problem, as I have more reptile bite marks than teeth ( I work at the Budapest Zoo reptile section), but it is a key factor for the children. Thanks! :)

2. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Neither Cali kings or milk snakes are particularly well suited to handling for public displays with children IMO, though I'd say the milk would be less likely to bite. Much better option for that purpose would be a bull or gopher snake. Those seldom bite, though they may put on quite a show with hissing and bluffing. Every animal is different of course, depending on their individual general disposition and how tolerant (or accustomed) they are of handling.
    Are you thinking of getting an adult or raising a young one yourself?